Discuss testing L/N to earth in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

hi Quick question as the regs say when you cant remove lamps electronic equipment its ok to do

line/neutral together to earth

how does this bypass all the electronics im very curious how it works.

as ive you did live/neutral together would show a short.

also if you do the above, do u still have to test, neutral to earth

and line to earth??

as you have done them above.

also could you leave computers on and other stuff plugged in and do i/r this way or would it still blow them

thanks for your help.

I'm a bit pi55ed so this might not come out as planned!!If P and N are at the same potential, be it 5, 25 50 or 500 volts as there is no voltage slope for them to slide down then their relationship with "earth" can be measured as if one. If the reading from both is measured to be within limits then the reading from either ONE would also be ok. I'm pretty sure that's right!!

the way i look at it is:
if you are meggering L/N connected together to earth all loads conected to circuit can not be damaged as 500v is between L/N to earth

took the link right out of my mouth warrenG :)

i'd always tested seperately and never considered having to IR P/N>E but the thread warren has linked to pretty much mimics this question

Hi,
When doing periodic testing sometimes it is not possible to disconnect all lamps etc.Perfectly ok to test line & neutral together to earth,and make sure you put down limitations on certs.

Back to school chaps....
The electric wiggle goes up from the live, through the "thing" then back down the neutral. It does this because there is a "potential difference" between L and N. If you link the live and neutral at the CU, then any electric wiggle you try and push up the cable will go nowhere, as there is no Potential difference between them. Therefore no current flow through the "thing" So its not going to be damaged, right!!!
Easy innit?

Back to school chaps....
The electric wiggle goes up from the live, through the "thing" then back down the neutral. It does this because there is a "potential difference" between L and N. If you link the live and neutral at the CU, then any electric wiggle you try and push up the cable will go nowhere, as there is no Potential difference between them. Therefore no current flow through the "thing" So its not going to be damaged, right!!!
Easy innit?

Fantastic explanation!:D

Reply to testing L/N to earth in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock