Discuss Testing Laptop PSU in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PAT ukLtd

Hi Guy's, can someone clarify the tests that are required on the PSU for laptops, and indeed any other device which has an adaptor.
Cheers.

Worth bearing in mind that some pat testers cant do 250v dc testing and alternate test as advised in the cop can be used .The self same cop says that class 2 It equipment in offices and shops needs a initial formal visual after 24months and NO combined inspection and testing ..

what i will say in my experience with laptop psu's is that they are very often cracked by neglect and misuse and the 'mickey moose' type leads are often appallingly poor .

table 7.1 pg34

But i think my monies with the spark from Durham.

72-van

Yes i have seen many of the clover leaf /mickey moose type leads faulty the lappy user uses the lead to drop the psu on the floor straining the lead and bashing the psu to bits they then get kicked about the floor etc and the cop says dont initially test them ...get em tested..

adapters are now avail on ebay and at maplins etc to gender bend clover leaf to regular kettle ld type so we can test these easily gone are the days of fearsome looking homemade dongles for testing these.
One other thing remember to flex the cord several places on the length during your continunity testing with these ones as i have seen lots of breaks and these are definate 25a test jobs no way would i tickle test these leads at 100ma as some peeps do .
Blast it and make sure ..

My own laptop i run with a gender bender full time as i dont like the quality of these mickey moose leads around a fiver for a gender bender.

72-van

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, some interesting points made. Is 'Gender Bender', the name these leads go by or is there another name,will get one of those clover leaf adaptors, is there a good supplier anyone can recommend.

Test supply lead on its own, insulation test, earth bond , then treat power supply unit as SELV (Separated extra low voltage) and just do a visual inspection to make sure its not damaged/cracked or split open in any way or showing any signs of heat damage/overheating...

I wouldn't do a 250 volt test or a 500 volt test on a laptop power supply using an adapter plugged into it as you could pop the rectifier diodes inside or some capacitors, the cloverleaf is really for testing different types of leads i.e male/female cloverleaf to standard IEC type etc using a normal PAT testing lead or the IEC test socket on the testing machine...

advise user/owner when you are leaving the location that they should not cover any mains adapters, especially not laptop ones by for example leaving it in the bag/case with the lead running in and out of it or wedging it down the back/side of a filing cabinet etc...as these power supply units are designed to get rid of heat by re-radiating it from the case, they are designed to transfer heat from inside the case to the plastic on the outside...I know it does not sound sensible to transfer any heat to any kind of plastic but where else could it go on a plastic clad box....
There are chunky Aluminium or copper (depending on price) heat sinks inside to take the heat away from the transformer and the Regulator IC's which are bolted onto them and get it out of the case....
some Laptop adapters/chargers have cooling fans but these are generally replacement ones sold in the shops and are not usually very reliable compared to the ones made by the laptop manufacturers which are generally fully sealed in terms of having no holes or vent grilles on the case...they really do not want to block these kind of chargers...

Reply to Testing Laptop PSU in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net