Discuss Testing Modular cabins on site. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

a12jpm

-
Reaction score
A customer has asked me to test some site cabins for him. Basically as far as I can tell it's pretty much the same as domestic stuff just a good bit smaller. Does anyone have any experience testing cabins and any pointers I should be watching out for.

I also have a price figure in mind per cabin but would welcome any guides as to what you guys are charging, I think I might be a bit cheap. I've got 13 cabins to test all on the same site.

Thanks in advance.:)

Hey.

Before you do anything, does your mate actually own these cabins or are they on hire??

If they are hired then dont be messing with anything internal, the hire compnies will hunt you down and shoot you dead!!!:D, you should only test the supplies to them.

What type of cabins are they? steel containers, insulated, canteens/toilets??

On the other hand if he does own them then pretty much the testing is the same...obviously everything should be on 30mA RCD, make sure everything is earthed - pipework, the cabin itself.

Make sure you have a good Zs/Ze, if they're geney fed then I always rod the geney and each cabin.If they're close together i.e touching distance then they should be bonded together also.

Sorry to go on but if they're on a construction site then they should be tested every 3 months.

Hope this helpd you out a bit.

Cheers.

Cheers for the informative reply Lenny, exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.:)

I will be testing for the company that owns the cabins and hires them out. They have about 2500 units so this could be a nice one for me if I get it done right. Not all the units are out at the moment but hopefully when the economy get going again this could be a nice wee contract for me.

The cabins are steel linked together by steel frames and they are nearly always geny fed if thats any help.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.

Cheers for the informative reply Lenny, exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.:)

I will be testing for the company that owns the cabins and hires them out. They have about 2500 units so this could be a nice one for me if I get it done right. Not all the units are out at the moment but hopefully when the economy get going again this could be a nice wee contract for me.

The cabins are steel linked together by steel frames and they are nearly always geny fed if thats any help.

Can i be cheaky and ask what you charge, still trying to find my feet with this one. By all means tell me to **** off, but as they say up here nae cheek nae chance!

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are hired out then it is a waste of time doing any live tests on them as when they get to site the test certificate is no use as the site they will be on will have totally different supply characteristics to where they were first tested.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like i've got the job, wayhay!

I'm doing it on behalf of the hire company who supply the cabins and all testing is to be done on site after install and every 6 month after that, oh and while i'm there the PATesting has to be done - bonus. They are not massively busy at the moment but they reckon at least 1-2 days a week testing so this could be a steady income for me and it's been a while since i've bean able to say that.

'll let you know how I get on.

Right, well not one to disappoint I thought I would keep you posted. Please feel free to ignore.

Got back from a week off at Centre Parcs (or "don't forget your chequebook" as i have now christened it robbing barstewards) and I have a fax sitting from said cabin hire company -
13 cabins in near Dundee and 11 cabins near Glasgow all to be tested and PATesting done by the end of next week!

At last something seams to be going my way.

Reply to Testing Modular cabins on site. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net