Discuss Testing of temporary installations e.g. events in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Silk6911

Anybody got advice on the scale and procedure for testing temporary installations. e.g. Outdoor exhibitions/events.

Assuming all wiring spec is good (mostly pre-made pvc flex leads 16amp c-form), could it be agreed to test just to local weatherproof 16amp splitter distribution with incorporated RCBO's beside each marquee? (Get Zs and trip times from each socket.)

Or should the full inspection and test be carried out on all circuit leads outgoing. (e.g.100% testing of everything, everywhere at end of line). The way i read it in the Regs is that this IS the case...but i hope not!!

Anybody with any previous experience of this situation?...would help a great deal.

Cheers

Have not had a great deal of experience on outdoor events but when we laid on temporary supplies to dis posts for tents and stalls we would test to that point. The responsibility of what was in the tent was down to the person who rented that space, this was in the marquee rental agreement. If they wanted us to do the installation inside the tent then we would test throughout. The other thing that we got agreement, and payment, for was that any equipment that was plugged into an installation we put in , had to be PAT tested.

I reckon there's people out there who can most probably add to this.

Hope it helps.

Thanks tony. yeh hopefully get more replies.

Problem is i have been put on job at too late a date i think,for the testing responsibilities. To test every individual line out now is going to be a nightmare! Nearly all cables are in. All light fittings are PAT tested tho.

I believe there is another BS standard (not BS 7671) re temporary installations that could be adhered to.

Any comment welcome.

The testing of Exhibitions, Shows and Stands has now been included in BS7671 sec 711.

Assuming all wiring spec is good (mostly pre-made PVC flex leads

Reg 711.52 wiring systems
Armored cables or cables protected against mechanical damage shall be used where there is a risk of mechanical damage.
Flexible cords shall not be laid in areas accessible to the public unless they are protected against damage.

Or should the full inspection and test be carried out on all circuit leads outgoing

No the leads coming from the power point should be tested separately. Who is suppling the power leads from the stanchion to the stand? If it is your company you are obliged by law to ensure the safety of that item.

I would test the supply's to the stanchions according to BS7671 and if you are suppling the supply cables to the stands, PAT test them as well.

Done literally hundreds of these, although i am normally i am my own DNO, in that i run off genny supplies.

I used to use modular systems, so BS4343 plug and sockets with screened cable, then using distribution boxes. To be honest, i used to PAT test all my cables before going on the job. I used to test the genny (spike etc), then a quick IR test at the genny end once the sytem was all connected together.

I already had all the design and actual R1+R2 values, and my genny as the Ze, so I didnt measure Zs either.

I believe there is another BS standard (not BS 7671) re temporary installations that could be adhered to.
Yes BS7909, which is in the process of being updated.

Yes BS7909, which is in the process of being updated.

We used to bring supply to a big bank of sockets. Test from supply to sockets, then after that it was up to whoever was using them. If we ran the distro system inside, then all the stuff was PAT tested.

Reply to Testing of temporary installations e.g. events in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock