Discuss Testing Questions - help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I completed the part P and 17th edition but I know that this is no replacement to someone who has done electrical work for many years.

I just find that some of the test explanations in different books tend to be different so thats where a lot of confusion lies.

Ideally I would love to work as an electricians mate but I have had no joy there.

I would happily help out for just petrol money or just to shadow someone regularly to get proper hands on experience.

Hi Chris,

You seem to be on the right track, you may be better trying the 2392 course, this is the initial verification course and covers testing. This is not as difficult as the old 2391 or the new 2394/5 courses and would be a good stepping stone for you if you are interested in testing.

Fault finding is an acquired skill, and not suited to everyone, some people pick it up like a duck to water and others seem to struggle no matter how much training, it is just one of them things, this is no disgrace either.

Hi Chris,

You seem to be on the right track, you may be better trying the 2392 course, this is the initial verification course and covers testing. This is not as difficult as the old 2391 or the new 2394/5 courses and would be a good stepping stone for you if you are interested in testing.

Fault finding is an acquired skill, and not suited to everyone, some people pick it up like a duck to water and others seem to struggle no matter how much training, it is just one of them things, this is no disgrace either.

Any recommendations of where to gain the 2392 course as sounds like a good step forward?

Any recommendations of where to gain the 2392 course as sounds like a good step forward?

The local college might be a good start, as the courses tend to run over a period of weeks rather than days, the training provider courses are typically 4 days and try to cram everything in to short period of time.
As far as I know the 2392 just covers single phase testing, and is more basic than the much more difficult 2391/4/5 courses, but is a start.

The secret of testing is to break everything down into smaller and simpler parts, and try to understand what it is you are testing for. Draw the circuits out if it helps, take your time and don't try to take everything in at once.
Once it clicks into place you will understand.

Then when you have some understanding and more confidence you can test in larger chunks and get faster, you will then be able to test and 'see' where the possible faults may be, and how to proceed.

It is important not to be intimidated or overwhelmed by the larger installs, as these are just more of the same or similar basic units.

Get a copy of GN3 if you haven't already got it.

Good luck.

With the greatest respect Chris, the part P and 17th edition course are really just for electricians who are already trained, and will not give you a basis for carrying out electrical work. There is a reason most of us did a 4 year apprenticeship :)

With the greatest respect Chris, the part P and 17th edition course are really just for electricians who are already trained, and will not give you a basis for carrying out electrical work. There is a reason most of us did a 4 year apprenticeship :)

I forgot to mention that I also completed the domestic installers course as well. But this was three years ago nearly as life events, like my partner having a baby, kind if backtracked me a little.
So am very rusty but also it was paid for by my former employer and there was a funding limit on the amount I could spend on the course (hence the domestic installer).

Reply to Testing Questions - help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net