Discuss Testing rule & regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

craig1000

Hi people i was wondering if any one could explain to me a couple of things as i am slightly confused since part p came in & now i have gone self employed this will affect me.
I am a time served qualified electrician & since leaving my company august 07 have been subbing myself to smaller firms but am now looking to go fully self employed and take on jobs of my own.
I do not yet have my inspection & testing certificate but will do soon hopefully.
If i get this am i then able to alter old and install new intallations and sign them off? Do i need to register to do this? Do i still need to get part p?
Idont mean to sound stupid but trying to research these things i end up with varios results so i thought this would be the best idea.
Any in depth answers to fully explain things for me would be great.
Also in the mean time am i able to do a new install at a new property and then get some one in to test? Is this acceptable?

Kind regards:)
C O'Brien

ok here goes
part p requires you to join a competant persons scheme (Napit Niceic etc) they all have there own joining requirements but as you are qualified no need to worry on this part. Its gonna cost you about £400 a year but once a member you can do your own work and certify it the only other way is to inform your local council who will inspect your work at first and final fix and test for you but this will cost you labc fees and is not cost effective.

ring up a scheme provider they will visit you on a job to verify you are competant then thats it till a year later when your membership is up for renewal..

oh and you cant just sign off anyones work, just your own...

Last edited by a moderator:

To carry out any certifiable work in a domestic property you will need to part P registered and only the person or company that is registered can sign off there own work and not any one else’s. So in short you will need to register and until you are you would need to inform the local council of all jobs before they commence.
I now how much of a pain that is

Hi craig,
First things first, has a qualified time served electrician, building control will tend to be favourable towards you provided you supply an accurately completed Instalation certificate but and it's a very big but you cannot self certify under the part p competant persons scheme,not off your own back.
You will need to go through your local building control inspector who will examine your standard of work along with its compliance with current IEE regs.
Its also an expensive way for a self employed sparks to go you would be far better joining one of the recognised organisations ie nappit eca niceic and the like.My partner and myself opted for the niceic, I believe the going rate at the moment is around £425, You will also need certain documentation which you can look up on the web (Saves me typing here) along with a public liability insurance covering two million for a domestic installer.
In the long run you will benefit but its a lot to layout at the start.
I think nappit are cheaper to join,the only reason we chose the nic is that they seem to be more recognised amongst the general public, no doubt that could change with time.
Another sparks under one of the above schemes would be very dubious about signing off someone elses work (No disrespect to you)
The 2391 is a good all round course on inspection and testing I found it very usefull myself go for the 17th edition course if you havent done so already its one the nic and nappit like you to have,anyway keep checking the forum they are a good bunch here and will give you lots of advice.

You did but, the 17th edition update must also be done during the first year if membership to a scheme too.

Edit: Baldy beat me to it:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes ezzzekiel
I know but I had started replying so I did not see your replaying till I hade sent mine is that ok with you. All answers are welcome aren’t they

Last edited:
about £50 but with the full you get more coverage i.e. pat testing any periodic ect ect
if you only go domestic you will need to pay more for eatch extra section

I believe its about £350 sparks, along with an upgrade on your public liability to cover professional indemnity, Also need some commercial work for them to see.

Doesnt really make sense to do the domestic then as the full scheme covers you for this anyway, is it that much easier?
I do know the ECA does not cover you for part P installations which I find strange

Yes I know, I have been in Elecsa since Part P came out, when I decided to go in a full scheme I was informed that being in Elecsa you are fairly sure of getting in the ECA with no problem, obviously you need to pay the fee

You can bypass the domestic and go straight for niceic approved contractor but will still need the domestic installer to sign of under part P, so it depends where the bulk of your work is coming from.
If theres red tape involved these organisations know how to find it. :D

try the niceic full as i said from domestic to full is about £50 differance the fee this year is £420 of the top of my head for full

Sorry Albi, I think you will find that if your a domestic installer and you want to go to approved then the fee is around £325 You will be getting another visit from an NIC assesor and he will want more than fifty quid.
If I have misread your post, I apoligise in advance mate;)

Thanks wveryone for your answers, just to clarify, to be able to sign off domestic work i will just need pat p and wont need to bother with the 2391? i will do at some point but due to expense i want to just get what i need for now. also is it a must that i have or take the 17th to get the part p?
Thanks agin people

Reply to Testing rule & regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock