Discuss testing storage heaters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Firstly i will ask how old are the storage heaters anything pre 1986 should be handled with care as there is a very high probability they contain asbestos or related products ,what sort of tests for a PIR or just maintainance

Main fault will really be faulty element, open up the heater, pop on the temp supply and feel to see which ones heat, if none then check the thermal cutout.

You would need it connected to supply for that anyway if it does not appear to work look out for something about the size of a penny on that will be a re set switch which may solve the problem. These things are so basic you dont have much to go wrong oh and bring a stubby screwdriver with you or you may not be able to get the cover off.

Chris

Isolate the supply at the switch remove front cover , Check continuity of cpc from the DP solator switch , check continuity from the Live to neutral ,then across each element ( normally have to disconnect each element to do this ) insulation tests earth to neutral live to earth but omit the neutral to live as this will give you 0.00 , the resetable thermal cut outs check to see if tripped ,will show open circuit if it has , reset if required , the stat is a difficult one cannot realy be tested ,but if suspect replace if no continuity and the thermal trips are ok check the elements ,to inspect the elements remove inner cover remove bricks check elments for distortion breaks holes etc , normal fault blown element runs cooler than normal as elements are wired in parallel

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanx for all your posts i dont have any to do at the moment but theres a good chance i will have to in the near future .......is there any chance of the eco 7 supply causeing a problem ?

if they're in-circuit you can energise contactor and check your readings with the clamp- a simple working test

other simple tests are resistance reading and L-E IR test(through stat and cut-out)

The only problem with that is it dont kick in until 10:30pm so late nights if you want to test with that hence the comments for temp supply:)

Chris

depends where you are you can come accross the old time clocks they some times have the wrong time due to power failurer and these are sealed ,they are replacing them for radio link ones now but just a thought

Always a possibility but generally there are a few storage heaters installed this would be a possible diagnosis if none of the heaters appeared not to be working.

Last edited:
yes this is correct but reliying on a tenants details is not always reliable .....as i found out when i went out to a call out when there imersion was not working ....i asked i they had messed around with anythink ....they replyed no .......but the problem was they had switched the eco7 cu off because they wasent useing the heaters dooh:rolleyes:

Reply to testing storage heaters in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net