Discuss Testing street lighting columns in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all i have some work coming up testing street lighting columns on price per columns so i want to get myself ready, I've done street lighting work before but all the testing I've seen done was never done right This is what they are looking for

Polarity
Continuity of Protective Conductor
Insulation Resistance
Prospective Short Circuit Current (PSCC)
Earth Electrode
RDC Tests
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]But i they have told be that its only testing at the base of the column and that we are not disconnecting the control gear in the lantern but pulling the DNO fuse at the base.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]so this says to me that we are only checking the supply Ze and the main earthing.

Any thoughts, tip would be a great help

Thanks
[/FONT]

I doubt very much if the fuses in these street lighting columns are the DNO's, ...lol!!

So what else did you want to test at these columns then, the lamp ballasts?? You can do L-N to E tests on the cable upto the Ballasts...

They are asking you to provide test reports on these lighting columns distribution circuits, and that's all contained at the bases of these lighting columns. Why you would want to test upto the lamps themselves i don't know??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Engineer54 most of the columns have a DNO supply so i will have to pull the DNO fuse to isolate the circuit that go's the the ballasts / lamp to get the Ze
if i don't disconnect the lamp/ballast i can not do IR or R1 + R2
To do L-N to E tests on the cable upto the Ballast wont i have to remove the lamp to get a true reading?

Last edited:
If you are testing the distribution circuits then you do not need to test anything past the supply fuse.
If you are testing the wiring in the column itself then as E54 says you can do a connected L+N to E IR test.
If the column has metal work; is this in connection with the CPC, if so, OK.
Polarity, Prospective Short Circuit Current (PSCC), Earth Electrode can all be done for the dist circuit.

Hi Engineer54 most of the columns have a DNO supply so i will have to pull the DNO fuse to isolate the circuit that go's the the ballasts / lamp to get the Ze
if i don't disconnect the lamp/ballast i can not do IR or R1 + R2
To do L-N to E tests on the cable upto the Ballast wont i have to remove the lamp to get a true reading?

Why would all the street lighting columns have a DNO fuse in them?? That just seems illogical to me, where are they supplied from??

I can perhaps accept there be a single DNO fuse at the street lighting distribution cabinet, or even at the first post in a string of posts, but not at every post!!

Some columbs do have DNO fuses.......normally the first on the supply run or supply cabinet.(I work for SSE), have changed columbs with these in too.....now thats a fun experiance! all others have isolators (Mcb + M/sw) or street furniture cutouts. Have seen metal clad spurs too.......It really depends on age.

Polarity - speaks for its self
Continuity of Protective Conductor - between main earth and columb......also feed cable to head if applicable
Insulation Resistance - load cables and columb
Prospective Short Circuit Current (PSCC)- at cutout
Earth Electrode - rarely
RDC Tests - huh! very rare!!!!!!

Now i have not worked on that side for 10 years.... but thats about all that you can do with testing given your spec.

Hi i have work on many columns, sign post that have had DNO supply in them and not just in the first column but all down the street.
It is sometimes cheaper for the local council.
If the DNO has a main running down the road it cheaper to use that than digging up the road to lay there own swa and if there is ever a fault on it they can pass it back to the dno instead of have to deal with it them self

Do i do a soft IR (250v) test so i don't damage the control gear

Last edited:

Reply to Testing street lighting columns in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock