Discuss Testing voltage between ignition and solenoid in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm trying to test if there's voltage between my ignition and the solenoid. The starter won't crank or click so figured I'd start here but am not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I have a male/female connector from the ignition to the solenoid. I disconnected this, connected a probe to the switch end (not the solenoid end) of the wire and earthed it to the body. When I insert the key the multimeter reads 60mv and then starts rising up slowly. When I try starting the ignition it just keeps on rising to about 120mV+ until I release the key and take it out.

I would have thought I'd either get no reading or some kind of clear reading here, but all I get is this rising mV reading. Does anyone know what this is trying to tell me (other than I'm not smart enough to interpret it)? Will this test even work if I have a few relays between the switch and the solenoid? Am I doing this correctly?

Couple of pics attached in case they may make sense to anyone.

Attachments

• Testing voltage between ignition and solenoid starting voltage readin - EletriciansForums.net
    starting voltage reading.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Testing voltage between ignition and solenoid increasing voltage readin - EletriciansForums.net
    increasing voltage reading.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 2
mV readings are pointless. just a pain with digital meters. when you turn the ignition switch to "start" you should get 12V to the solenoid, check continuity from starter motor body to car body/battery -ve. on ohms. should get close to zero.

mV readings are pointless. just a pain with digital meters. when you turn the ignition switch to "start" you should get 12V to the solenoid, check continuity from starter motor body to car body/battery -ve. on ohms. should get close to zero.
Thanks telectrix. You were totally correct. I found the issue through continuity testing instead.

When testing car electrical (rather than electronic) circuits, you will often fare better by leaving the multimeter on the shelf, and using a small 12 volt lamp (around 5W or so) connected to a couple of flying leads.

When testing car electrical (rather than electronic) circuits, you will often fare better by leaving the multimeter on the shelf, and using a small 12 volt lamp (around 5W or so) connected to a couple of flying leads.
ok for checking volts, but no use for continuity unless a battery is involved.

oh that's what the black lump in the corner is. i often wondered.

Reply to Testing voltage between ignition and solenoid in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock