Discuss testing voltage on 110v systems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tbs1983

Hi guys, not really done any 110v work and not something we ever covered in detail in college.

A workshop with fixed 110v outlets was having trouble with a 110v appliance,
Upon voltage testing the outlet I got the following readings:

L-N - 57v
L-E - 0v
N-E - 57v

Are these readings what I should get? Im unsure as Ive always worked on the 230/400v principle that L-N and L-E should produce voltages and N-E be 0v so its throwing me a bit.

I understand the basic principle that 110v works on a centre tapped earth therefore combines the two 55v to create the 110v.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. other 110v appliances work fine from the outlet so were assuming its the appliance at fault but I'm curious as to the above.

.think you;ve measured wrong. L-L = 110V. each L -E =55V. there's no N on a 55-0-55 110V

Bit of a silly question but recently done some temp 110 lights for a site and I was always told a bulb won't strike with out a neutral but in a 110v system there is no neutral?

They Definitely don't cover enough 110v systems in college barely Learnt about them expect their used on building sites and it's centre taped to earth

a bulb requres a voltage across it. it can't differentiate between L-N, L-E or L-L. as long as thers a potential of sufficient magnitude ( e.g. 110V in this case)

if the light is wired conventionally, e.g. in a house, across L -N, then you're right. if the N is lost, then the lamp won't work. however ( and this has given guys belts) because there's no current flow, the volt drop across the lamp iz 0V, so you will get 240V on the N side of the lamp.

Thanks Tel, can't recall ever covering 110v in college in any detail and its taken 10 years to come across it in the real world.

Bit of a silly question but recently done some temp 110 lights for a site and I was always told a bulb won't strike with out a neutral but in a 110v system there is no neutral?

They Definitely don't cover enough 110v systems in college barely Learnt about them expect their used on building sites and it's centre taped to earth

Definatly be buggered on ships then as there is no neutral on 99% of them

Centre tapped safety transformers most 110v supplies rely on this for safety reasons, 57v-0v-57v as said before lamps require a voltage applied across the terminals. Got a feeling the Yanks derive their 220v this way although I couldn't be sure, 110v-0v-110v = 220v

Or cars, doesnt everything end in an earth?

I know on old ships they used to use the hull as the return path or so ive heard

The negative of the battery went onto the frame so you only needed positive cabling (At least on the old cars ive played with, dont know so much about modern vechs)

older cars were + earth. remember a couple .
Lots of old plant too,i've converted plenty years back,dynamos,reg. boxes,reversed ammeter etc, thinking behind it was corrosion related,apparently. Was actually driving an old Manitou stacker yesterday that i did nearly thirty summers back.....starting to sympathise with that bloke in "highlander"...

Reply to testing voltage on 110v systems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net