Discuss testing zs - EAWR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electrifix

on an eicr is it right or wrong to test for zs or is it putting us at unneccassary risk of shock ?? If the regs say we CAN calculate using Ze+(R1+R2)measurements taken during dead testing then SHOULD we?? ! anyone any clear cut answer on this 1??

The way things are developing,the best way for electricians to avoid that nasty electric stuff, is to pack it all in and get a job with the H+S industry
They can then tell the rest of the practicing electricians how nasty that electric can be, and instruct you,don't you dare work with it

I've always been told to measure R1+R2 and never calculate it, My assessor has said there's no problem in calculating Zs. Alot of people calculate R1+R2 especially on ring finals as its quicker.. But continuity of CPC is always Guaranteed with R1+R2

From EAWR...

Work on or near live conductors
14. No person shall be engaged in any work activity on or so near any live conductor (other than
one suitably covered with insulating material so as to prevent danger) that danger may arise unless–
(a) it is unreasonable in all the circumstances for it to be dead; and
(b) it is reasonable in all the circumstances for him to be at work on or near it while it is live;
and
(c) suitable precautions (including where necessary the provision of suitable protective
equipment) are taken to prevent injury.

and you follow GS38 for your test gear, I haven't got the slightest problem with Live testing.
Besides, how on earth can anyone be an electrician/tech/engineer without be able to Live test, utter nonsense.

I think this is a wind up from the Screwfix forum.

There seems to be a bit of confusion coming through about testing and the correct procedures. If you follow the instructions given by your apprenticeship mentor/on the course you took to get into the industry/GN3 and use your head a little bit you can't go too far wrong.
So OK to ease everyone's mind, let's get rid of the whole idea of live testing. No more IR, Ze, live polarity etc etc then where does that leave us?
By virtue of our training we are supposed to be able to know how to handle electricity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I you use a Light Mate kit and not probes there is little risk,if you want to be ---- about it, turn the circuit off, connect the croc clip to the Earth point in the fitting and power the circuit up, power off to finish that eliminates the 'Live' bit lol

J

on an eicr is it right or wrong to test for zs or is it putting us at unneccassary risk of shock ?? If the regs say we CAN calculate using Ze+(R1+R2)measurements taken during dead testing then SHOULD we?? ! anyone any clear cut answer on this 1??
I prefer measuring, more mistaks can be made by calculating it.
:furious3:

I've seen aa couple of EICR's recently where the Ze + (R1+R2) is exactly the same as the Zs which suggests that the R1+R2 hasn't been dead tested at all.

I you use a Light Mate kit and not probes there is little risk,if you want to be ---- about it, turn the circuit off, connect the croc clip to the Earth point in the fitting and power the circuit up, power off to finish that eliminates the 'Live' bit lol

J
and make sure to wear 1000V insulated gauntlets, full face protection, non-metallic steel toe-cap boots, fibreglass steps, have the paramedics standing by with a defibrillator, FFS. we're supposed to know the dangers and take reasonable steps to ensure our own safety. stick a finger in the hole.

I've seen aa couple of EICR's recently where the Ze + (R1+R2) is exactly the same as the Zs which suggests that the R1+R2 hasn't been dead tested at all.

Or that the R1+R2 and Ze were measured and the Zs was calculated.

We are allowed to calculate Zs and we are also allowed to phone up the DNO to get a Ze. By calculating Zs you'll miss any parallel path influence on the result and phoning the DNO for a Ze will, most likely, get you a reading of 0.2 ohms for TN-C-S and 0.8 for TN-S, from the young lady in the call centre.

But the rules say we can do this.

don't make me laugh. by phoning DNO, you will get some dolly bird filing her fingernails, her idea of earth is what she gets on her arse during a night of illicit sex with her baby sitter. if she can actually manage to presss the right button on the phone network to connect you to someone who speaks our language, after 40 minutesw of " hold" you get cut off.

I phoned the DNO once regarding a Ze reading; the scenario in my previous post was what I was told. I told the woman the address and the earthing system (TN-C-S) and received the quote of 0.2 ohms. I then said "no, sorry, its TN-S" and she revised the figure to 0.8 ohms!

It appears that the DNO round my way has done lots of tests and all TN-S installations are 0.8 ohms and all TN-C-S are 0.2 ohms.

My tester read 0.2 ohms, I seem to remember, for this TN-S installation, but what do I know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although its possible to calculate many of the values we use and require,in a lot of instances,this is better done to back up the actual measured results.Given the importance of these,it is always beneficial to have actual values to assist the accuracy of further investigation of problems which avoids calculating using calculated figures.Safety issues whilst doing this IS PART OF THE JOB. Isnt that pause, whilst your MFT makes its mind up, why we do this job? Anyway,didnt they "calculate" that 45 minutes thing which lead to Iraq?.....should have dropped that bonding and put their probes on Bagdad.............

As far as I'm concerned mate, it couldn't be simpler. I do a live Zs on socket and cooker circuits simply because I can plug the test lead directly into the socket outlets without opening the enclosure. Lights and water heaters etc I do dead and by calculation simply because it is illegal to work on or near live conductors (EWR1989 regulation 14). I know on the NICEIC schedules it asks for a measured value but I would argue this point with anyone from the NIC. The law is the law and it is simply wrong to encourage anyone to break the law. Its black and white for me, they get calculated values and thats that!

That may also suggest the ZS has been calculated from Zs = Ze + (R1 + R2) which is what I do on any circuit that I can't plug in to

As far as I'm concerned mate, it couldn't be simpler. I do a live Zs on socket and cooker circuits simply because I can plug the test lead directly into the socket outlets without opening the enclosure. Lights and water heaters etc I do dead and by calculation simply because it is illegal to work on or near live conductors (EWR1989 regulation 14). I know on the NICEIC schedules it asks for a measured value but I would argue this point with anyone from the NIC. The law is the law and it is simply wrong to encourage anyone to break the law. Its black and white for me, they get calculated values and thats that!

With a make believe Ze value via telephone ?

Reply to testing zs - EAWR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock