Discuss testing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lukeallen88

While I was training I was led to believe that not anyone can test an installation and sign it off. But recently after starting a new job with a Electrical contractors I was told that anyone can test an installation as it states on the first page of the test cert that a competant person must carry out the test, meaning that a qualified person isnt required as long as that person knows what they are doing. which shall I believe.

In what industry mate.To sign off work in domestic,you need to be Part P registered with a scheme provider,if not you need to contact your local LABC.In commercial and industrial i assume the 2391 is ample.

Good Question I've been talking to a sparky today regarding this matter he does mainly industrial so I popped a few Q's at him and now I'm confused.

I have the Part P bit I'll be doing my 17th shortly then looking at getting registered with an approved body.

for my test sites I've got a few friends in need of a rewire so the plan is do the rewires involve LABC and do the testing myself pass relevant docs over to LABC get nic in to verify me ask Q's etc become certified to do domestic work and sign off myself.

But according to my sparky friend LABC will gladly look at the job but will not sign it off until the tests have been verified by someone who has 2391 meaning that if the sparky signs it off he has to see 1st and 2nd fix.

So isn't this a catch 22 how can I sign off work even with a regulatory on board if I don't have 2391 and you can't do 2391 until you have 3 yrs college/ time served.

and why is it (present company excluded) that most sparkys have a big problems with Part P and us so called fast track house bashers, surely regulating domestic installs is a good thing and will eventually ween out the cowboys, could it be that the domestic market is actually quite big and in the same instance a seperate league from industrial but we're taking away there pocket money work. The recession has probably hilighted this more than anything :)

sorry for the little rant but yes lets get rid of Part P and bring back the old ways it'll save me a lot of time and effort

I already have Part P and my 2392 inspection and testing and 2391 is next on m list which is already thrown in with the course i'm doing which hasn't taken 3 years at college more like 6 months. So do i have to do some jobs and get someone elso to certify them before i get in touch with the NICEIC.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Reply to testing in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net