Discuss Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pjb1

Just carried out a periodic inspection report, before doing a Cu change. When the board is replaced can i use the results i obtained and transfer them onto the electrical Installation certificate. Or do i have to test again.

Hi.

Surely you would re-test....make sure all your work was correct. Also the chracteristics of the circuits will have changed i.e new overload and fault protection so different permitted Zs and RCD operating times.

I always test again.

Hi.

Surely you would re-test....make sure all your work was correct. Also the chracteristics of the circuits will have changed i.e new overload and fault protection so different permitted Zs and RCD operating times.

I always test again.

Don't forget that there maybe a chance of borrowed neutrals which will cause the RCDs to trip as well after fitting the new DB which would have happend possibily before

Last edited:
Whilst doing a periodic Inspection, which test would have highlighted the borrowed neutral?

Just asking as i'm still learning and up to now, have passed any PIR work onto other well experienced spark friends.

i agree on testing the rcd,s but why do the other tests again seems pointless to me if all the tests on the periodic where good if your only changing a board and not extending any circuits.

Your circuit resistances (R1 + R2) & IR's will be the same but thats about it.

Your Zs could now be different, especially if you have upgraded the main earth and/or bonding.

The Only thing that will be changed will be the Old wylex rewirable fuse board will be replaced by a dual rcb split load consumer unit.
The current earthing and bonding conductors are both current 16mm and 10mm.

Whilst doing a periodic Inspection, which test would have highlighted the borrowed neutral?

Just asking as i'm still learning and up to now, have passed any PIR work onto other well experienced spark friends.

When you are doing your IR tests, its likely that an infinity reading across phase and neutral would suggest a burrowed neutral as its not very often you'll find such a large resistance, unless its a short run of cable. A 20M run of 2.5mm T+E or NYMJ would have a IR of between 1500megs and 2000megs.

Just carried out a periodic inspection report, before doing a Cu change. When the board is replaced can i use the results i obtained and transfer them onto the electrical Installation certificate. Or do i have to test again.
Wouldn't it be better to have done just the installation tests as board fitted or was board fitted due to failing periodic?

Hi solo
The board was changed at the customer request, Carried out a periodic inspection to see if there was any hidden secrets awaiting me. Like Borrowed neutrals, split rings,diy wiring.etc
The reason I asked the question about further test is after carrying out the periodic,I've all the test results i need to fill out an EIC. bar one the rcd tripping time which i took when I replace the Old wylex for a new Cu.
Am I right or wrong???

When you are doing your IR tests, its likely that an infinity reading across phase and neutral would suggest a burrowed neutral as its not very often you'll find such a large resistance, unless its a short run of cable. A 20M run of 2.5mm T+E or NYMJ would have a IR of between 1500megs and 2000megs.

Hi Mate,

How did you work out that .... just learning so would be interested if theres a forumla or do you know that just from experience.

Thanks

if you have carried out..... ins res ,,, conts..... r1 + r2.....tests...( the dead tests )...then these test results shudnt be any diffrent if fitting a new db.... the new dist board tho should have an rcd ,,,so these times will now be required... if you have uprated the earths for water ,,gas & perhaps the main earthing conductor then it maybe a good idea to re-test the live tests...i would personnally
hope this helps you..............

No didn't have to replace Tails, Main or Bonding Conductors as these were current regulation csa.Did Ze and pfc tested on new Cu though.

Reply to Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net