Discuss Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L1Jay1

-
Reaction score
On a continuity test on existing lighting circuit, do all bulbs have to be removed, what if there is to many or some can’t be reached.
Trainee Electrician

you don't remove for a continuity test. but without removing all loads, you can't do a L-N IR test.

no you don't need to remove. you are measuring either R2 or R1+R2. as the bulbs are connected L-N, their resistance will have no effect on your readings.

no you don't need to remove. you are measuring either R2 or R1+R2. as the bulbs are connected L-N, their resistance will have no effect on your readings.
its just that in college, they said lamps should be remved for R1 R2 test

Perhaps they are teaching you how to conduct the series of tests for an installation, not just continuity. In that case, all loads would need to be removed first.
Yeah you’re right, the tests done in college are for a new installation, looks like with a existing lighting circuit, the lamps don’t need removing .

During initial verification, r1+r2 or r2 needs to be confirmed at the furthest point. The only way to measure r1+r2 or r2 is physically removing the lamp/cover and gain access to the conductors.

If you are performing r1+r2 this is a good time to confirm polarity too using the light switch.

During initial verification, r1+r2 or r2 needs to be confirmed at the furthest point. The only way to measure r1+r2 or r2 is physically removing the lamp/cover and gain access to the conductors.

If you are performing r1+r2 this is a good time to confirm polarity too using the light switch.
Actually, during initial verification cpc continuity must be verified at all points.

Have you got an RCD warning label to read?
If not, look it up in the regs. or on line, even.
I was asking if the RCDs are switched to the off position during insulation resistance test, as I know they are sensitive equipment.
[automerge]1577561827[/automerge]
you don't remove for a continuity test. but without removing all loads, you can't do a L-N IR test.
On IR test can u just switch RCDs off or do u actually have to dis them.

Last edited:
I was asking if the RCDs are switched to the off position during insulation resistance test, as I know they are sensitive equipment.

Disconnect them it was meant to say
[automerge]1577562141[/automerge]

Sorry disconnect them , my post was meant to say.

I believe you are correct. I thought it was Zs that had to be proved at every point but yes, I believe it is continuity of cpc at every point.

A Zs wouldn't confirm a cpc is present or that it is a acceptable condition or terminated sufficiently

I believe you are correct. I thought it was Zs that had to be proved at every point but yes, I believe it is continuity of cpc at every point.

A Zs wouldn't confirm a cpc is present or that it is a acceptable condition or terminated sufficiently

You can't carry out Zs until the installation is energised, and you can't safely energise an installation without proving the correct connection of the protective conductor at every point.
This is why the continuity of the protective conductor is tested first.

Actually, during initial verification cpc continuity must be verified at all points.
You can't carry out Zs until the installation is energised, and you can't safely energise an installation without proving the correct connection of the protective conductor at every point.
This is why the continuity of the protective conductor is tested first.

Yes exactly. Hence why I realised my mistaken thoughts

Reply to Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock