Discuss Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
During the sequence of testing on a 3 Phase DB, would the main switch be off on all tests (live and dead) except for ZS and RCD test where it would be switched on.

Thanks.

Ideally yes the board would be off for the dead tests whether three phase or single but if you are doing a periodic this isn't very often practical. To be honest I have been doing periodics for 30 odd years and am so used to working on live boards and switch panels I never even consider isolating them even if I can. But in an ideal situation yes you should isolate for dead tests.

Last edited:
Yes, main switch off while earth disconnected for Ze (3 tests, each phase to earth). Reconnect earth. Then 3 x PEFC, 3 x PSCC (Double largest reading).
Main switch remains off for all continuity and IR tests.
Obviously main switch on for Zs and RCD tests.

I assume this is a classroom situation.

During Phase Sequence/Rotation test on a 3 Phase DB -

Do you test with main switch on or off.

If tested from Incoming side with switch off it would test Supply side.

If tested with main switch on would it test the supply side and the whole installation ?

During Phase Sequence/Rotation test on a 3 Phase DB -

Do you test with main switch on or off.

If tested from Incoming side with switch off it would test Supply side.

If tested with main switch on would it test the supply side and the whole installation ?
Not quite. What you are mainly bothered about is the overall rotation remaining consistent for the whole installation. So you would test at the incomer and check it's clockwise.
Then on any 3ph circuit you want to ensure that it is still clockwise at point of connection to load, so usually the isolator.
Though not great practise it doesn't hugely matter if two phases are swapped at the MCB, and two are swapped again at the isolator as both 'mistakes' cancel each other out and the rotation remains the same.

Having the 3-phase rotation right is very important for many applications as motors going the wrong way is bad news. Especially if its a sewage plant...

One reason I don't like labelled black line conductors instead of the 3-phase colours is the greater chance of a mix-up in phase order along the way. Certainly you should be confirming rotation both are the supply point and then at the isolators, etc, for any 3-phase loads.

Never assume that because one item is working OK the rotation is correct as some things like 3-phase UPS and some VFD (e.g. used in newer air-con, etc) don't care as they simply rectify the incoming power and chop it up for end use as needed.

Last edited:

Reply to Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock