Discuss testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ambrad

Hi all

If i have extended a circuit i/e added a low voltage fan to a lighting circuit or extended a ringmain into a conservatory, do i need to give a test cert for the work i have carried out or for the whole circuit.

I have been given conflicting advice so a bit confused.

Thanks all

minor works cert. if you look at the schedule of test results on a MWC, you will see that it asks for details of the modified circuit .tht tells you you test the circuit, not just your addition/s.

Last edited:
it's on the ones i use. got a cd-rom with all certs. on inc. fire, pat, em lighting,

Right mate got yer..................... As it differs from the bible so to speak.

That quotes

"Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken"

Which I had always interpreted as an assessment on our part. If your fitting an extra socket to a RFC which is 60 yrs old and done in VIR then yes I would test the whole circuit, but if I was fitting to an RCD protected circuit that was done in the last few years, then I maybe inclined not to test the whole circuit, but just what I did.

Saying that mate any testing over and above the bible can not be wrong.

Right mate got yer..................... As it differs from the bible so to speak.

That quotes

"Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken"

Which I had always interpreted as an assessment on our part. If your fitting an extra socket to a RFC which is 60 yrs old and done in VIR then yes I would test the whole circuit, but if I was fitting to an RCD protected circuit that was done in the last few years, then I maybe inclined not to test the whole circuit, but just what I did.

Saying that mate any testing over and above the bible can not be wrong.

I always find your i contributions to these threads as very pragmatic - have you ever considered writing a book "interpretting" BS7671 as you have such a way of "translating" it into words that the masses will understand.

By the way I work the same way as you - i.e. mainly testing the "addition" but say on a new spur from a ring I always state the EFLI at the "donor" socket or connection.

it's also on the castline formfill MWC. thing is, if you're extending a circuit, you test , generally at the furthest point, and the readings obtained are for the whole of that circuit.

Reply to testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net