Discuss Thank you scheme providers. You are destroying a once respected trade. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

Since the introduction of part P I have observed with complete dismay an influx of under qualified, so called electricians.
The country, like others, is struggling through a recession.
Many of the bigger electrical contractors are going under.
Many other types of trade are also suffering.
The result is a huge group of under qualified x employees, with a redundancy wedge in there back pockets.
They come from many backgrounds, and the rich and easy pickings of a once respected trade, draws them like moths to a flame.
All they need is to buy a cheap van and set themselves up as one man bands.
A quick wonder course, and a very basic assesment by a scheme provider gives them a nice label to stick on that van.
The general public have no idea about the individuals experience, qualifications, or level of competants.
A defined scope person can take full advantage of people, there homes, even commercial work, with no more than there membership into the scheme, and a little BS.
And the current system with its money generating schemes just makes the situation worse.
In all of 40 years in the trade. I have NEVER seen so many electricians vans on the roads of Britain.
The only sanity amongst this is the JIB scheme. Offering recognition and identification of your level of experience and qualifications.
But how many people will know about, or ask to see such a card ??
Our industry is a mess.
Part P and the scheme providers have I.M.H.O. done little to clean up our industry.
In fact the cash cow they have created has actually left the whole sorry situation in a real mess.
As I aproach retirement. I feel so very sad, that the name Qualified Electrican stands for very little these days.
Because those who are qualified, are being plowed under by non competant people.
Who have been allowed to jump on the band wagon, for nothing more than make a quick buck.
Sad !! Very very sad.:sad_smile:

summed up nicely. and that's without including all the foreign chancers working for a pittance and bodging everything as they go back home with a huge wedge of GBP.

Surprised it has taken you this long to realise that the Schemes are self serving and always will be. Also does not help when you read guys on here saying I have my C&Gs ??? ??? ??? ??? a van my own power tools and my own test equipment and I am willing to work for free or for ÂŁ7 because this is my destiny is it any wonder employers take the P!ss .

Only thing I have ever supplied on a job is my tools test gear,van,power tools are supplied by the employer.

O and by the way we are screwed

its been ages since we had a part p rant lol.

nevermind , the conseratives saw the schemes were constricting free enterprise and choice for the public and thus brought in the recent 3rd party testing & a reduction in notifiable jobs.

its not all the schemes fault though , the industry as a whole has to take some blame for the sorry state of affairs ,
for example the current trend for using agencies for all construction recruitment lies firmly at the door of contractors , nowt to do with the nic et all.

no matter , the books will balance in the end , leaving the good sparks to continue like they did before part p , while the chancers fall by the wayside.
;-)

Part P is NOT the issue. Its the fact that every other trade is doing electrics. My "old" neighbour, who come over from Spain said he simply couldn't understand why the trades all did "each others" work (and mostly badly)

Part P isn't the issue. The industry is in trouble obviously but most of the new sparks are only self employed because there isn't enough employed positions. Just think more mistakes are evident because they don't have a company to hide behind. Seen some howlers from time served sparks NIC as well ! Yes there are electrical trainee but are you really threatened by them ?

Part P isn't the issue. The industry is in trouble obviously but most of the new sparks are only self employed because there isn't enough employed positions. Just think more mistakes are evident because they don't have a company to hide behind. Seen some howlers from time served sparks NIC as well ! Yes there are electrical trainee but are you really threatened by them ?

Its not as such its the fact that NIC are still selling the ÂŁ54k dream plus they wont take responsability for their actions

I am part of NIC (sorry dont hate me anymore than you already do) signed off 2 jobs at 10 this morning about 2 minutes apart first one unique code ended in 49 second ended 81 thats 32 x ÂŁ1.50 = ÂŁ24 a minute, I would have thought most done in evenings. As long as money like this is being made we are stuck with scams.

Part P is NOT the issue. Its the fact that every other trade is doing electrics. My "old" neighbour, who come over from Spain said he simply couldn't understand why the trades all did "each others" work (and mostly badly)
eh?...
so you dont think that jumpin off a 5 week course then a quick part pis registration `assessment` isn`t a problem then?...jesus wept i expected better from you murdock...i really did...

eh?...
so you dont think that jumpin off a 5 week course then a quick part pis registration `assessment` isn`t a problem then?...jesus wept i expected better from you murdock...i really did...

Part P or Electrical Trainee or what ever, the basic problem is that there are too many bodgers at work and NOBODY to call people to account for dodgy work.

Over the past year I have spent alot of time, being paid, to tidy up others ' bodged up work.

some of it from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, ......... There has always been mediocrity and ineptitude and there always will. Just be the best or plan to be and success will follow. As a natural product.

no charge.

It's all about competence in the real sense. I know electronic guys that have a much greater understanding of electrical principles than some " qualified " sparks. I'm not defending Electrical Trainee but some of them are actually very good. Why shouldn't they transfer into an allied trade ? They don't balk when electricians do no courses and stray into other fields ? Intruder, cctv etc etc As long as they understand safe work then why shouldn't they be allowed to diversify ? Free trade is a given

It's all about competence in the real sense. I know electronic guys that have a much greater understanding of electrical principles than some " qualified " sparks. I'm not defending Electrical Trainee but some of them are actually very good. Why shouldn't they transfer into an allied trade ? They don't balk when electricians do no courses and stray into other fields ? Intruder, cctv etc etc As long as they understand safe work then why shouldn't they be allowed to diversify ? Free trade is a given
caus they should go to bloody college like we have all had to do...
not some scabby little `training center` someware for a few weeks....
besides....theres too many for not enough work...so how come we have to put up with these short course wonders just floatin in...
oh, and by the way a lot of the crud i come across is usually courtesy of either Mr Poland or a five week know nowt....

part pee is a complete farce. it only "regulates" those electricians that join the club. and it does that with about as much efficiency as a wet lettuce operated by a punka wallah.

But what about electronics guys that have studied far longer than an apprentice and use a short course to diversify ? Surely they are not exempt from using part p to find new business ?

Reply to Thank you scheme providers. You are destroying a once respected trade. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock