Discuss That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They were there for the final inspection of the porch thatvhad been built .as the original front door had been removed, it was classed as a liveable space and therefore fell under BCO authority.
I had to let him in to the premises and he questioned the lights so I had to tell him the installation process, he seems pretty sound tbh and said 'im pretty sure as there is an outside light that this will be a notifiable job that has to be signed off by a "competent person"
I'm have my Level 2 qualifications but haven't registered with a competent persons scheme yet as most sparks I speak to tell me not to bother as I only work on small extensions. Very confusing.
So yeah, that's why BCO has got involved .

So I myself am ok to issue a MWC to the BCO? Despite not being with Stroma/Napit etc

I had to let him in to the premises and he questioned the lights so I had to tell him the installation process, he seems pretty sound tbh and said 'im pretty sure as there is an outside light that this will be a notifiable job that has to be signed off by a "competent person"

There you go, he's not read the latest edition of Part P, i.e. circa 2013. 'Garden Lighting' was included in the previous edition, but England scrapped that bit in 2013. Perhaps he's visiting from Wales?

It wasn't our 'usual' BCO so this is a definite possibility! Although he spoke with a very distinct southerners accent so your guess is as good as mine!!
I'll put him straight ehejni next see him. him. in with us on Monday to check the roofing on another job were on!
You guys have been an immense help and a genuine thank you to every one who has chipped in .
Legends. T

Amazing . Either cert will have to be completed by someone registered to a competent persons scheme right?

I've had the local BCO ask me to notify a small extension before - both circuits were on MWC's ........... I did a Part P to keep him quiet and ensure the client got their completion certificate.

£1.80 for a happy BCO is a small price to pay ............

Ok, so silly question, for those of us that aren't registered, how do we go about getting a MWC that BCO woukd accept?

Just needs to be undertaken and completed by a competent person.

Ask the BCO to clarify in writing why notification is needed for this work detailing the specific regulations that require this.

Chances are they haven't kept abreast of the changes in part P or poorly understand it.
Have had my fair share of BC jobsworths, argued about socket heights with one and when i asked her to show me the regulations she went mute and backed down. normally find that once asked to evidence there opinion they retreat. Have also before now notified a job to them via niceic portal just to shut them up as I had another job to get to. usually civil servants and left hand right hand a lot of it.

Haha. If like to say 'theyre just doing their job' but it seems the more I deal with the , the more I realise they're not doing their job at all!!

So I would consider myself a competent person but I'm not registered with any competent persons scheme, would that still allow me to issue the MCW? Are there any links to get prints of the certs??

Again, thanks in advance and apologies for the many many questions.

Haha. If like to say 'theyre just doing their job' but it seems the more I deal with the , the more I realise they're not doing their job at all!!

So I would consider myself a competent person but I'm not registered with any competent persons scheme, would that still allow me to issue the MCW? Are there any links to get prints of the certs??

Luckily the Inspector is a decent bloke and I think he just needs a little convincing. I just wanted to have some ammo to fire back with if he questions why I'm saying is not notifiable .
I think you'll need more ammo than a print out of this thread!

You could show him this:

The Regulations Explained - http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Regulations-Explained

I can't see the work you've carried out falling into any of those categories.

ps... just read the thread properly and you have far better ammo given by others.

Last edited:

One of the requirements to comply with BS7671, is to issue appropriate certification for electrical work.
You don’t have to be registered with anyone to issue certification.
Yes there are places where you can download blank certs to fill out.
Someone on this site has produced some and you can download model forms from the IET website.

It might be worthwhile getting yourself registered with a scheme. It just means it's easier to take on the 'Part P' notifiable jobs as you notify it yourself.

Its a MWC, not MCW (i.e Minor Works Certificate), although @happysteve may correct me :D MEIWC!!

Here are some blank forms to print out https://electrical.------.org/media/2058/model_forms_bs_7671-2018_online.pdf

Or you could use the resource by happysteve as mentioned by spinlondon Electricians Downloads - Electricians Resources for Free - Electricians Resources | Electricians Forum | Talk Electrician Forum | Electrician's Talk - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/resources/

Thanks Happyhippy, I am pretty familiar with the Part P Scope which is why I questioned it when asked and hence creating this thread.
I'll refer him back to Part P next time I see him. Thank you.

Good info SpinLondon as well, I'll have a search for the certificates and get one filled out. Stars. Thanks.

Another thanks HappyHippy.

I'm gonna get on board with NECIEC I think to save any hassle in future. Despite the cost.

But due to not having a levek 3 qualification (only have level 2 quals and experience) they're making me jump through hoops to get on board with it all, then charging me and arm and a leg for the pleasure

Another thanks HappyHippy.

I'm gonna get on board with NECIEC I think to save any hassle in future. Despite the cost.

But due to not having a levek 3 qualification (only have level 2 quals and experience) they're making me jump through hoops to get on board with it all, then charging me and arm and a leg for the pleasure

Go with Stroma for a more pleasant and cheaper experience

Reply to That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net