Discuss That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just need some advice on whether or not my work is notifiable as I'm sure it isn't, but a visit from the building inspector says it is.......

I know it's sometimes a grey area but I can't see it needing to be certifiable.

Details,

Tiny Porch, 2.5mx3m with an entrance to the house and a small toilet (with toilet and sink only)
A ceiling rose in both the entrance and the toilet and an outside light by the front door .

I've just extended the existing downstairs lighting to all three new light fittings with the main feed coming from the switches to the lamps.

I've stated that it's not a new circuit, not in a special location considering its attached to the dwelling and run from existing internal wiring but LABC have stated that as it's an outside light it needs notifying .

Any help would be appreciated, is this classed as garden lighting perhaps?

Thanks in advance (ps I have searched the internet for an answer but seems everyone is saying different things so looking for someone to set the record straight for me so sorry if some of you will have to regurgitate old info said many times before)

Cheers, T .

As far as I am aware, there are certain conditions that require it to be notified, but if you've come straight out into the light (i.e. there are no external switches or anything like that), it's not notifiable in England, in Wales it is I believe.

That's exactly what I thought having looked through Regs and Part P wording I can't see why it would fall under notifiable work.
I know Wales still class external lighting as notifiable but as you've said, I was certain in the UK it was declassified and not notifiable.
I'm hoping not anyway!

I know Wales still class external lighting as notifiable but as you've said, I was certain in the UK it was declassified and not notifiable.
I'm hoping not anyway!
There’s different notification requirements in England Scotland and Wales .
All of these are in the “UK”

Where exactly do you live then?

Luckily the Inspector is a decent bloke and I think he just needs a little convincing. I just wanted to have some ammo to fire back with if he questions why I'm saying is not notifiable .

You can't really do more than show the BC Officer section 25 in the Approved Part P document (page 6). None of the changes you are making are listed in Regulation 12(6A), as shown in the Approved Document.

EIC or even MWC for that job. and it's deffo not notifiable under part pee.

What are you having done that has involved the BCO or was he just cycling past and saw you up a set of steps?
As has been pointed out, if they are involved in the site, an MWC or EIC could be handed straight to them unless ‘Jobsworth’ is in town!

What are you having done that has involved the BCO or was he just cycling past and saw you up a set of steps?
As has been pointed out, if they are involved in the site, an MWC or EIC could be handed straight to them unless ‘Jobsworth’ is in town!

Reply to That old Chestnut. Notifiable Work... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock