Discuss The best route please ladies and gentlemen! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

killy bing

Hello again
i already posted up an introduction but just a short bit
recently qualified (apprenticeship) gas engineer looking to expand my skill set over the next few years
its easy to see that soon to work on modern appliances you will have to be more competent with electrics than with the gas aspect!

so with that i want to start down the road sooner than later.

i intend to do all my training with steve willis at burgess hill, i find the staff extremely competent at both teaching and the industry they train in!

In fact if I'm completely stumped i can get in touch with half of their trainers for advice, great place!

i'm ready for a bit of flaming here but who better to ask for advice :)
i loathe people who don't appreciate the scope that they need to know to be competent in the gas industry so i intend not to be that person when it comes to electrics!

so what do you guys think is the best route to qualification?
I'm ordering some of the books from the good books stick on here aswell

thanks for any time given!

Have a quick search on this forum for electricians qualifications, or training to be an electrician and you should get several hundred posts that are relevant.

Generally you would be looking at taking the C&2357, which includes the NVQ3 and AM2.
Try looking at the site electricalqualifications.co.uk this has some good explanations of how to become fully trained.

What's the point, most heating guys do basic electrical courses for control wiring etc and what they need to get by, I've always believed in

Jack of no trades, master of one!

Trying to become a decent electrician as well as a decent heating engineer is setting yourself out for a whole lot of expense for a start

All you need is a good reliable sparky to call on when your out of your depth and hopefully he will do the same for you too!

Hmm, so no one on here is gas safe then ?!

Or does their own heating and plumbing?

I'm not going to be doing commercial installs or huge projects.
but at the same time i want to know the full scope of what i'm touching.
while i have the time now i would like to train.
expenses are already sorted ready.

kb,

I've had a look at that training centre you mentioned in other thread. Their courses seem to be geared towards the additional quals: wiring regs, inspection/testing, etc. You need to find a college or similar that offers the core quals and that will give you the underpinning knowledge to progress. As suggested by RB, see: electricalqualifications.co.uk

Reply to The best route please ladies and gentlemen! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net