Discuss The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

think it's more that the human brain sees it's wrong and corrects it. if it were just the 1st and last letter, then 100% of poelpe could raed it. ( excludes those with IQ rating in single figures, eg. plumbers).

In South Africa, our job description was Master Installation Electrician, being able to install, maintain and certify explosive and inflammable installations.

I believe in the US an apprentice becomes a journeyman when he qualifies, then becomes a master electrician once he has enough experience. I think the master electrician is similar to the JIB approved electrician grade.

I believe this mirrors the way trade apprenticeships worked in this country hundreds of years ago.
In South Africa, our job description was Master Installation Electrician, being able to install, maintain and certify explosive and inflammable installations.

Polyphase is also an US term for Split Phase Ie 2 phases that’s what I was referring to.

I was 15th/16th Edition always referred it as “Live” things change.

There is still obsolete 2 phase power being used in some areas of the US, Philadelphia is one city where it still exists, I have never seen it though. Polyphase refers to either 2 or 3 phase, it would not refer to what you call "split phase" but is considered single phase.

There is still obsolete 2 phase power being used in some areas of the US, Philadelphia is one city where it still exists, I have never seen it though. Polyphase refers to either 2 or 3 phase, it would not refer to what you call "split phase" but is considered single phase.
Certainly I would refer to 110-0-110 style of supplies as "centre-tapped" and not polyphase - that (to me at least) implies phase angles other than 0/180 deg that you can get from a single phase supply & transformer.

As you say, 2-phase exists but is very unusual as 3-phase is better is practically every way. You used to see 6-phase (or more, which can be generated by weird transformer arrangements from a 3-phase input) when feeding large DC rectifiers to get a smoother output, but these days it would be electronically converted and regulated that way.

I still want to know what a master electrician is compared to a journeyman electrician...

can you be a master journeyman....

and what the heck is a pony panel

I still want to know what a master electrician is compared to a journeyman electrician...

In London, black cab drivers are "Journeymen" if they don't own their cab... if they do own it, they're "Mushers"... no idea where any of that comes from.

In London, black cab drivers are "Journeymen" if they don't own their cab... if they do own it, they're "Mushers"... no idea where any of that comes from.
That is another thing, when we hear "black cab driver" in the UK we know it is a driver of a black cab (hackney carriage)!

Somethings I noticed
Ground = Earth
We don't use EMT conduit only RIGID and no real maths for bends etc.

We don't use those turn things for connecting wires - we use connector block or Wagos

your Light switches often look oblong ours are mainly square - no idea why.

Going back to my dad's time pre-war, an apprenticeship lasted 7 years, the first 5 were spent with one firm, the next 2 were split into 4 x 6 month periods with 4 different firms, where you learnt the things not done in your own firm, those last 2 years you were called a journeyman, this was before apprentices had to go to collage, it was considered when day release was started that the apprentice would gain this broading of his knowledge in collage and the journeymen stopped in the UK. Also it has been for many years that you finished your apprenticeship at around 21 years old, so the 7 years started at 14 years old, by time I started you did not leave school until 16 years old so to finish at same age the apprenticeship needed to be shorter. Now leave school at 18 years old, so instead of day release we have block release in collage, so apprenticeship even shorter.

Being frank I spend a lot of my apprenticeship as a skivvy, doing fetching and being cheap labour, my wife as a hair dresser had to pay to be an apprentice, and learnt how to wash hair. So likely the collage block release does teach more than the old apprenticeship.

The other thing when watching a YouTube video from America/Canada is all the cables are sized by ‘gauge’. The lower the gauge The bigger the cable.

Journeyman is a very old term, it originates in Europe as far as I know and describes someone who has served an apprenticeship under a craftsman but not yet become a master craftsman.

As far as I know Journeyman electrician is roughly similar to Electrician in the JIB scheme, with master electrician being roughly similar to approved electrician in the JIB scheme

I believe in the US an apprentice becomes a journeyman when he qualifies, then becomes a master electrician once he has enough experience. I think the master electrician is similar to the JIB approved electrician grade.

I believe this mirrors the way trade apprenticeships worked in this country hundreds of years ago.
Dave in the US you have to have 14,800 primary hours which means being superintendent on jobs then you have to take the masters test. We have guys and girls that can get low voltage license which is under 24vac,swimming pool license, limited license, intermediate license, and of course the Masters license

We also have Ring Circuits that are only really a U.K thing apart from a handful of Asian country's.

In the rest of Europe I think they use more Flex or single core cable the single usually in a flexible conduit.

In large scale events, In the UK and EU we use a connector called power lock for our temporary installation supplies rated at 400A and 600A (single pole (5 connectors for 3 phase))

Having worked a lot in America you guys use cam lock connectors which like power lock are single pole and rated at 400A

I struggle to understand why they are still allowed & used as they have the potential to be very dangerous: For these reasons:
  • Non-locking
  • male to male adaptors
  • T adaptors
  • Any colour can be plugged into any other colour
  • Very large exposed conductors easily touched when unplugged

Powerlock is: locking, will only allow phase to phase or earth to earth connections etc, and has no exposed conductors

I have even seen on TV shoots in the US where camlock is used on a public street and tee adaptors are used as joiners so the side outlet is not used leaving a live exposed conductor on a public pavement.

Although this isn’t a difference in domestic it still might be of interest,
The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! 1591396870863 - EletriciansForums.net
Camlock Tee
The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! 1591396994427 - EletriciansForums.net
Cam lock
The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! 1591397214324 - EletriciansForums.net
Powerlock

In large scale events, In the UK and EU we use a connector called power lock for our temporary installation supplies rated at 400A and 600A (single pole (5 connectors for 3 phase))

Having worked a lot in America you guys use cam lock connectors which like power lock are single pole and rated at 400A

I struggle to understand why they are still allowed & used as they have the potential to be very dangerous: For these reasons:
  • Non-locking
  • male to male adaptors
  • T adaptors
  • Any colour can be plugged into any other colour
  • Very large exposed conductors easily touched when unplugged

Powerlock is: locking, will only allow phase to phase or earth to earth connections etc, and has no exposed conductors

I have even seen on TV shoots in the US where camlock is used on a public street and tee adaptors are used as joiners so the side outlet is not used leaving a live exposed conductor on a public pavement.

Although this isn’t a difference in domestic it still might be of interest,
View attachment 58642
Camlock Tee
View attachment 58643
Cam lock
View attachment 58645
Powerlock
Marcus I don’t mean no harm but I have no idea what you are saying. If you are talking about lock out tag out a person could lose their job if they don’t follow the correct procedures.

Marcus I don’t mean no harm but I have no idea what you are saying. If you are talking about lock out tag out a person could lose their job if they don’t follow the correct procedures.

No was not talking about lock out tags,

was mentioning observations in how power is supplied for events, in venues in the US (what we meed to plug into)

its basically the same as me saying alot of countries use different plugs, but this one in particular I cant understand for the main fact you can get male to male connectors

maybe it is the wrong place to mention it, if so sorry about that, just find it interesting

No the "cam lock" is the make of connector.

Not quite as stupid a design as the 1/4" jack or phono audio connectors where the signal mates first and ground last, but at least they don't try to kill you! (OK, thy might kill your speakers if volume is up high when changing cables, but that is significantly less serious).

Reply to The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock