Discuss The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Do y’all not have panels with all your overcurrent and short circuit and run your wires the the devices

Yes, but as I explained in post #16, the FCU is a handy way of locally creating a small circuit from a large one, bearing in mind that our outlet circuits are often protected at 32A in the DB (panel).

Do y’all not have panels with all your overcurrent and short circuit and run your wires the the devices
we do. we call them Distribution Boards. domestics are commonly referred to as Consumer Units.

We use breakers as our overcurrent protection not fuses

We use whatever is best suited to the application.
Generally MCB's (miniature circuit breakers) for small final circuits and MCCBs (moulded case circuit breakers) or fuses for distribution circuits or large final circuits.
Installing two mcbs in series can have discrimination issues, so generally we don't use mcbs for distribution circuits.

The choice of protective device, whether its fuse or circuit breaker will depend on things such as the type of load, the prospective fault current, discrimination.

Now, now Andy78, that's a tad pedantic of you! LOL!
Plus, you ended your sentence with an unnecessary preposition. If we are trying to assist our American friend with the correct terminology for our superior electrical items, we should be careful not to let him think our grammar is inferior...

Now, now Andy78, that's a tad pedantic of you! LOL!
Plus, you ended your sentence with an unnecessary preposition. If we are trying to assist our American friend with the correct terminology for our superior electrical items, we should be careful not to let him think our grammar is inferior...
Capital letter at the start, full stop at the end. Anything more complex than that and you're talking to the wrong guy. :p

I had problems in the reverse when ordering parts for USA cars. The one that comes to mind is low voltage is between 50 and 1000 volt AC to earth.

But there are so many, our reduced low voltage is 110 volt between phases, but 55 or 64 volt to earth depending if single or three phase.

I am told you use delta transformers with one winding centre tapped and earthed, so one phase is a much higher voltage to earth and called the hot wire, never seen that in UK.

Also I know Robin tunnel boring machines had an IT 220 volt supply, never seen IT supplies in UK except for shaver outlets. IT = Insulated from terrestrial so TN is terrestrial bonded to neutral. Why terrestrial not ground not a clue.

But work in UK mines and quarries and you will likely feel more at home, we also have some odd voltages 660 volt for example.

Only with out lying farms do we tend to have drop down transformers on a pole, with 230 - 0 - 230 split phase supplies, most places we tend to use 500 kVA or larger to drop down so 400 volt between phases and 230 volt to earth/neutral.

one phase is a much higher voltage to earth and called the hot wire, never seen that in UK.

I don't think we've ever used edge-grounded delta at all. It's a cheap way to rig up 3-phase on systems where the normal service is split-phase with both lines present in most installations. Because we only ever use split-phase in the absence of 3-phase (as our single-phase is 230V not 120V) we wouldn't have anything to gain from high-leg delta. And I think it is technically 'high leg' or 'wild leg' rather than 'hot', because hot just means line.

The T in TN is Terre, it's French.

I don't think we've ever used edge-grounded delta at all. It's a cheap way to rig up 3-phase on systems where the normal service is split-phase with both lines present in most installations. Because we only ever use split-phase in the absence of 3-phase (as our single-phase is 230V not 120V) we wouldn't have anything to gain from high-leg delta. And I think it is technically 'high leg' or 'wild leg' rather than 'hot', because hot just means line.

The T in TN is Terre, it's French.
Lucien I personally don’t use Delta 3 phase transformers. And you are right it’s useless to the work I do, the only use for it in my opinion is just 3 phase loads only

No Hotleg Delta Transformer set ups in UK.

GFCI = RCD

Hot wire = live UK. Active Aus

Travellers = Strappers UK

Romex or NM = T & E UK, TPS Aus

No Split or Polyphase in UK generally used

Red, Black and Blue phase colours are Brown, Black, Grey UK or Red White and Blue in Aus

Receptical = Double or Single socket UK, GPO Aus

EMT - Conduit

No AWG cable sizing in the UK

Midget - Outlet of shallow depth

60hz - 50Hz UK and Aus

It's line in the UK, used to be phase. Live is used to describe any conductor which carries current in normal service so both the line and neutral are live.

Polyphase supplies are very common in the UK, but they only get called polyphase in the text books, the rest of us just call them three phase.

No Hotleg Delta Transformer set ups in UK.

GFCI = RCD

Travellers = Strappers UK

Romex or NM = T & E UK, TPS Aus

Red, Black and Blue phase colours are Brown, Black, Grey UK or Red White and Blue in Aus

Receptical = Double or Single socket UK, GPO Aus

EMT - Conduit

No AWG cable sizing in the UK

Midget - Outlet of shallow depth

60hz - 50Hz UK and Aus
I like the terminology and the way electrical is different in other countries

In UK live means all phase wires AND neutral, line means a phase wire, yes I know we say live for phase wire, but should call it line.

There are some things were we don't follow the rule book, in fact it is near impossible, for example line 1 is normally brown, live 2 is normally black and earth is green/yellow, but nearly every 110 volt site supply I have found, line 2 is blue which should only be used for neutral. Also the yellow plugs, which show it is a 110 volt supply, normally are marked L and N rather than L1 and L2 we don't have a neutral in our site supplies.

Rule book says wires buried in a wall need RCD protection, I have never seen the 8 volt supply to a door bell RCD protected. But the rule book unless changed in latest edition does not say under 50 volts RCD protection is not required, sure it is an over sight, but not in BS7671:2008 at least.

Oh yes industrial plugs 24 volt purple, also white I think 42 volt and green used for extra low voltage i.e. under 50 volt AC or 75 volt DC.

For 55-0-55 or 63-0-63 (our 110 volt building site supply) yellow plugs (reduced low voltage), and 230 volt blue plugs, and 400 volt red plugs (low voltage).

Polyphase is also an US term for Split Phase Ie 2 phases that’s what I was referring to.

I was 15th/16th Edition always referred it as “Live” things change.

Reply to The big difference in the electric terminology and installation regulations and practice in each country! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock