Discuss The big jobs aint always the best in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welchyboy1

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive been analysing my work over the last 2 years and have confirmed what i have suspected for a while now;

it seems that in this game everyone is always brainwashed into the mentality of getting the big jobs in, large contracts are good!

well i have personally found the big jobs are up to 45% less profitable and alot more higher risk than the small jobs that no-one wants

all my jobs for large companies, builders and other contracts have a much smaller profit margins than the small maintenance/call out jobs

from builders paying late, large outlays on materials, long payment terms, unforeseen extras and problems, health and safety and paperwork, using/relying on sub contractors and main contractors cutting your price to the bone

these jobs rarely turn a decent profit for me and i am seriously thinking of restructuring my whole business model, the call out/servicing, testing and remedial/maintenance side of the business has a really good margin, fast payment, generally low risk and ALOT less hassle

these are also the jobs everyone else seems to shun!

maybe having a real shake up for 2014!!

anyone else had this or maybe found the opposite is true for them?

totally agree. my biggest contract last year was £2200, and the smallest £20. far less risk of being knocked on the little jobs.

My three largest jobs last year....
1. Took 4 months to get paid. Couple hundred here, couple hundred there.
2. Need to put my request into small claims. Over 6 months and customer was vicious in her replies to the solicitors ;(
3. I was asked to wait to submit an invoice to give them time to get the money themselves.

Some of my small jobs..
Paid before I leave, or I get emails reminding me to invoice as I havent yet.

The downsides to having lots of small jobs is that you need to be very organised and the amount of paperwork is much higher.

You will end up with blocks that have nothing booked in. Oh hell yea. The paperwork!!! Do an hour a day. Dont let it build up. I burnt myself out last year.

I totally agree also, I have 3 small builders that I do the occasional job for possibly 1 job a year between the three and the rest is maintenance etc. Not making a fortune but able to keep going and a lot less stressful.

I find the same, a lot of my mates are the same, the wholesaler was going at me the other day because he put me forward for a nice place in London to quote on, said it was worth a fortune for me , I made the point I can earn more doing small works in surrey than up in town flogging my --- off and having to deal with an obnoxious builder/developer and client. He couldn't believe it :).

I have found £35 day rates and £65 out of hours rates for call out for the first hour. But I try to make sure I do a full hour. It might include straightening cupboard doors, re fitting doors, shifting rubbish, anything. Just make sure your customer thinks they have got their monies worth.(and don't stop for a cup of tea, they notice that.)

Reply to The big jobs aint always the best in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net