Discuss The Burqa in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was never a fan of banning people from differing cultures, wearing or going about their cultural heritage, until today that is.
I was going about my business minding my own, when I happened to be waiting for a lift to arrive at a shopping centre. Two Mid Eastern ladies were waiting as well, when the lif arrived I waited for them to get on the lif before me, as being old School I thought, Ldies first, never again, you would have thought I had insulted them, well maybe I had in their culture, the tirade I got in Arabic I presume was unsettling, covered form head to toe in black put the fear of Chr--- in me, Ban the Burqa I say for sanity' s sake.

If people are so intent on wearing such "clothing" they need to go and live were its the norm.....

tin hat on.

Sounds like 2 rude people there Pete.
Not sure what their clothing has to do with it though, if they were wearing hoodies or sun glasses would you want them banned?

If people are so intent on wearing such "clothing" they need to go and live were its the norm.....

tin hat on.
No incoming from me Mate

No incoming from me either, freedom of speech.

I'm not sure though what normal clothing is when it comes to this country.
I hate the Burqa, but I hate being told what I can wear more.

Your views today
I was never a fan of banning people from differing cultures, wearing or going about their cultural heritage, until today that is.

Seem to be at odds with your views from a couple of months ago in the the thread that Mykey linked to

Having worked in several Islamic Countries, and having to abide by the various codes of dress in those countries, my opinion is a resounding yes the burka should be banned, thats all I am going to say on a forum, I have several other reasons but prefer not to say.

I can't wear a crash helmet in a bank but these ladies can wear a burqa. That's discrimination right there. I have no issue with people wearing whatever the hell they like, but it shouldn't be the case that we daren't ask certain groups not to wear certain things for very valid reasons. It should be the same rule for everyone.

How would a ban on the Burqa work then ? Would it be a ban on all religious clothing ? all religious headdresses ? all facial coverings in public ? Or would it specifically be a ban on Muslim women wearing burqas ? What would be the new restrictions facing all of the British public ?

Be careful what you wish for and how it comes to pass.

I was going about my business minding my own, when I happened to be waiting for a lift to arrive at a shopping centre. Two Mid Eastern ladies were waiting as well, when the lif arrived I waited for them to get on the lif before me, as being old School I thought, Ldies first, never again, you would have thought I had insulted them, well maybe I had in their culture, the tirade I got in Arabic I presume was unsettling, covered form head to toe in black put the fear of Chr--- in me, Ban the Burqa I say for sanity' s sake.
Because they should have been 2ft behind you Pete.?

Having moved to Saudi Arabia when I was one-and-a-half and living there for nearly eight years I personally have no problem with people wearing clothing and don't really think banning it is either warranted or productive.

Having moved to Saudi Arabia when I was one-and-a-half and living there for nearly eight years I personally have no problem with people wearing clothing and don't really think banning it is either warranted or productive.
That's not really what my post was about, I to have no problem with folk following their customs, my problem arose from the vitriolic abuse in a language I had no understanding of aimed in my direction for a gentlemanly gesture, still I suppose I should know better at my age and with my experience of overseas travel, must have gone around with my eyes shut, not.

That's not really what my post was about, I to have no problem with folk following their customs, my problem arose from the vitriolic abuse in a language I had no understanding of aimed in my direction for a gentlemanly gesture, still I suppose I should know better at my age and with my experience of overseas travel, must have gone around with my eyes shut, not.
I know Pete, but it's probably not fair to equate being verbally chastised with what they were wearing.

I know Pete, but it's probably not fair to equate being verbally chastised with what they were wearing.
I agree Risteard, but it was disconcerting and the other people in the lift were shocked, but you tend to catagorise people from experience, and I have had plenty, working in these countries a lot, my remit was to abide by the laws of the land, BUT? and there begs the question.

Reply to The Burqa in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock