Discuss The Career Path For The New Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sparky Ninja

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
The new career path for the Electrician is almost set. I'm currently reviewing it all and preparing to start delivering it from September. I have some enquiries in place with C&G and will update here with any response. All this information can be found on the City & Guilds Website for your reference.

Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) (2357-13 / 91)

What are the qualifications about?
Start or advance in a career as an electrician with a Diploma in Electrotechnology. These qualifications are still under development, but will cover areas including, electrical installation and maintenance.
Who are they for?
These qualifications will be for those who work as or want to work as electricians. Information on learner eligibility will be added as it becomes available.
Why choose City & Guilds?
A City & Guilds qualification is proof that you have the right skills to do your job well - which is why so many employers look for people who have one. You can be confident your qualification is well respected within your industry.
City & Guilds qualifications are engaging and rewarding, and can lead to a whole range of fulfilling careers - including many of the UK's happiest professions.
What sort of things do they cover?
During your study you will cover the following areas:
  • Health and Safety legislation
  • Environmental legislation.
  • Practices and procedures for overseeing and organising the work environment.
  • Principles of planning and selection for the installation of electroctechnical equipment and systems.
  • Practices and procedures for the preparation and installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment.
  • Cable termination.
  • Inspection and testing.
  • Fault finding.
  • Electrical principles.
How will I learn and be assessed?
For the Diploma in Electrotechnology you'll do part of your learning in a group environment in the training centre and the rest of your learning on the job.
The assessment methods for the NVQ Diploma are assignments, practical tasks, short answer question papers and GOLA tests.
Which level is right for me?
Level 3

You've worked in the industry for some time - You wish to be an electrician and want to demonstrate the skills alternatively.
How long do they take?
Guided learning hours are the hours you spend learning with your training provider or on your own.
The guided learning hours for the Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (2357-13) qualification are 726 hours. For the Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance) (2357-23) the guided learning hours are 714 hours.
What jobs could they lead to?
Achieving one of the Diploma in Electrotechnology qualifications will help you find work as or advance in your current role as an electrician.
Those who want to progress in their careers by building their knowledge while gaining plenty of practical, on-the-job experience can most likely take one of the Diploma in Electrotechnology as part of the SummitSkills Electrotechnical Apprenticeship programme. Full details of the new apprenticeship framework are not currently available.

It is anticipated that learners completing one of the Diplomas can progress on to one of the following qualifications:
  • Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (2392)
  • Level 2 Award in Environmental Technology System Awareness (2399-01)
  • Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance) (2357-23 / 92)
  • Level 3 Certificate for Inspection, Testing and Management of Electrical Equipment (2377)
  • Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (2382)
  • Level 3 Certificate in the Certification of Electrical Installations (Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations) (2391)
  • Level 3 Certificate in the Certification of Electrical Installation (Design, Erection and Verification of Electrical Installations) (2391)
  • Level 3 Certificate in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393)
  • Level 3 Award in the Installation of Small Scale Solar Photovoltaic Systems (2399-11)
  • Level 3 Award in the Installation and Maintenance of Small Scale Solar Photovoltaic Systems (2399-12)
  • Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering (4467.)

Attached is the current handbook on this qualification.
I will be adding the handbooks and info for all the further progression courses from tomorrow.

Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering (4467.)

If you have any more info on this one mate, I'd like to see it.

Cheers.

Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering (4467.)

If you have any more info on this one mate, I'd like to see it.

Cheers.

This qualification gives you skills and experience to help you take on a project manager role in the building services engineering industry.

You can choose from 2 available pathways - Electrotechnical or Mechanical Engineering Services. You will also learn about managing resources and finances, as well as project planning.
Who are they for?
If you're skilled craft worker wanting to move into management or to begin studying for a foundation degree, this qualification is a great way to start. It's also a good choice if you want to register as a Building Services Technician or Incorporated Engineer.
What sort of things do they cover?
The Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering covers a broad range of areas related to building services engineering, including:
  • electrotechnical engineering.
  • mechanical engineering.
  • air conditioning and ventilation.
  • sanitation and drainage.
  • managing resources.
  • project planning.
  • financial management.
How will I learn and be assessed?
A Higher Level Qualification helps you develop the skills to work at the very highest level in your industry. You learn with your training provider and apply your knowledge in a work setting. The Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services is mainly assessed by coursework - so you'll need some time to complete projects and assignments.
Which level is right for me?
Level 4
You're a skilled tradesperson wanting to work as a manager or in other senior roles - or you're starting up a business and want to register with recognised industry bodies in the Building Services industry.
How long do they take?
Guided learning hours are the hours you spend learning with your training provider or on your own. The guided learning hours for the Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services are:
  • 480 hours
Usual course length Completing the Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services usually takes: -
  • 2 years part time (average 6.5 hours per week) Note: This course may also be delivered as a full-time programme.
What jobs could they lead to?
The Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering prepares you for a range of management and supervisory job roles in the construction industry. After taking this qualification you can use it to make up the first 120 credits of a Foundation Degree in Business Services.
You may also choose to progress to the Level 4 S/NVQ in Building Services Engineering Technology and Project Management or one of the following qualifications:
  • Level 5 Certificate in Engineering (Engineering Council)
  • Level 6 Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Engineering Council).
  • Level 7 Post-Graduate Diploma in Engineering (Engineering Council).

id like to know more about the 2391-2, and the level 4 diploma please widdler. Can i also ask where you teach, and what courses you deliver?

Thanks,

John

Hello, Do you have any idea how much this course will cost? And if it will be available anywhere in Surrey?

Too early for costs at the moment. I'm in a meeting this week at East Berkshire College to discuss it's introduction and any necessary further development for us lecturers.
I'm on the lecturer bank at Guildford, Farnborough and Aldershot and so will find out soon where and when they will introduce this.

sorry but a bit confused...i have just been on the c+g website and the 2330 is still in use as far as i can tell and is the route into the NVQ 2356,have i got this right?

sorry but a bit confused...i have just been on the c+g website and the 2330 is still in use as far as i can tell and is the route into the NVQ 2356,have i got this right?

Yes Mate, Ive just read that as well, you should carry on as normal.

Reply to The Career Path For The New Electrician. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net