Discuss the correct way to wire a 63 amp rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carl Clarke

hi im new to this and just started a course with train for trade skills

i was hoping someone can help in my situation at home,

ive just built a workshop and fitted a consumer unit with a 63 amp rcd a 32 amp mcb a 16amp mcb and a 6 amp mcb at the moment only the 32 for sockets and 6 for lights is in use but i need to now the corract gauge of wire to run it to the 100amp main breaker or a mcb beside the 100 breaker thanks

carl

first you need to calculate your design current, say for arguments sake, it's 35A. you would estimate a 6mm feed for that, MCB protecting that would be a 40A. then calculate the volt drop. if this is within limits, then the 6mm is OK. now consider the installation method and any other correction factors. is 6mm still good? are you using SWA, buried/clipped/whatever? there's a lot more to it than just bunging in a cable. also, it needs notifying to LABC. if you do this work yourself, that alone will cost you around £300.

OK - well firstly hello to the forum, and the mad world of elastictrickery that awaits you in the future.

Secondly - you need to understand that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and that you're not qualified to install new circuits.

Do yourself a favour, be patient, pass a few exams and then come back to this when there's less chance of you setting fire to yourself or the shed or your house.

Hi Carl, Tel has given you a heads up on where to start. What you need to do now is take his advice away and come back with a proposal of how you would intend on carrying out this installation. All the information you will have at your disposal if you are in training so take a bit of time and work through it.

Help you will receive, a step by step guide you will not :thumbsup

So basically you have already done half the job by wiring the workshop. You should have notified your LBC before you commenced, and as already said, this will cost you a few hundred pounds depending on your council's charges.
Your best bet now is to get a qualified, part P registered electrician on board and ask if you can help him/her for the experience. The other option, as Rock said, is to wait until you are "qualified". How long is your training, just out of interest?

Reply to the correct way to wire a 63 amp rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net