Discuss The Folly of EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

moggy1968

We have just moved into a new rented space. It's a grade 2 listed building but also includes a commercial building at the rear (not listed) which has a large roof space suitable for PV which could then supply the main house.

There is no Gas or oil to the property, everything is electric. It's the kind of house that would benefit enormously from PV and the landlord is keen on me installing a free system where I take the FiT (and we may buy the property in a couple of years).

The problem, well, when he bought the place (prior to a light refurbishment) it had an EPC of....wait for it.........9!! It's potential was just 13. I don't know what it would get now he has installed loft insulation and we're waiting on secondary double glazing, but I can't imagine it being much better.

So, a house that is perfect for PV because everything is electric, is effectively barred because the economics don't add up without the FiT

crazy

It's a crazy world we live in. With it being grade 2 you'll also need a sympathetic conservation officer, met a few good ones in the past but heavily outweighed by the jobsworth fkrs...

thats why I want to stick the PV on the commercial property which isn't listed, but has a cellar shared with the house where I could run the cable

Makes sense to me and I'm intrigued about the property. I love working on old houses and the history that comes with them. Seen and old windmill constructed of brick using a spiral method, the spark who put the sockets in followed the bricks assuming everything was level, he got a surprise.. :lol:

Thats the worst thing about the EPC. The people who would benefit most are those who are off gas. It's nearly impossible/very expensive to meet a D rating on the EPC in such circumstances.

thats why I want to stick the PV on the commercial property which isn't listed, but has a cellar shared with the house where I could run the cable

Is not everything in the grounds that come with a listed building covered in such a way that it still requires permission?
A couple who I used to deliver to required permission to put a system on an old tin garage roof in the grounds that was about 60m away from the listed house- it took weeks and they nearly missed out on the original FITS. cut as a result

yes, if it falls within the curtlage of the listed property. I had this when I put a system on my mum and dads garage, a single story monstrocity with just a 5deg angle on the roof but the house is a listed 16th century farmhouse. although the garage is a a 1960s monstrocity it falls within the curtlage of the listed building so permission was needed. The panels were only going to be at 20deg but it still got rejected by the planning officer (who was a talentless, ignorant xxxx) but it got passed on appeal. The intractability of planners is one reason why they haven't replaced their garage with something more attractive. The intractability, aggravation and demands of the planners make it fairly unappealing.

The commercial building, however, is on it's own land so I don't think will be a problem. Even if it is I think it would get passed eventually as it's at the back of the property (the one on the folks house faced onto the rd)

We have just moved into a new rented space. It's a grade 2 listed building but also includes a commercial building at the rear (not listed) which has a large roof space suitable for PV which could then supply the main house.

There is no Gas or oil to the property, everything is electric. It's the kind of house that would benefit enormously from PV and the landlord is keen on me installing a free system where I take the FiT (and we may buy the property in a couple of years).

The problem, well, when he bought the place (prior to a light refurbishment) it had an EPC of....wait for it.........9!! It's potential was just 13. I don't know what it would get now he has installed loft insulation and we're waiting on secondary double glazing, but I can't imagine it being much better.

So, a house that is perfect for PV because everything is electric, is effectively barred because the economics don't add up without the Fit

crazy

Welcome to my world :banghead:

I think if I do end up owning the property it may still be worth it at 9p. If I redo the storage heaters to come on at timed intervals during the day I could probably make some dramatic reductions in the electric bill. but I don't think it would be viable for a customer, only if I do all the work myself and at trade pricing, especially if I go for a bigger system. I reckon I could get 10kW easy on the commercial roof.

Do we know if the 9p tariff will still be there under the new tariffs?

don't intend to be exporting too much!!
Storage heaters in every room so I am intending to take them off economy 7 and put them onto the main board. I'll then have them coming on at various times during the day by using time switches, probably 6 storage heaters in total, plus the immersion.

Does anyone know how many points a 4kW and 10kW PV system would be worth on the EPC? I presume the points vary depending on how much you install. Bit of a long shot but you never know!!

I think it would be worth installing just for the free juice per year to be honest. forget the fits ...

when I started doing pv people where more intrested in the fits but now they are looking at the bigger picture on fuel bill savings
I know people say well it only says £200-£280 per year but thats based on using 50% exporting 50% if you change your ways
and export 50% and use 75% then it changes the SAP alot

whats 250 x 25 = £6250 saved on fuel bills based on 50% 50%

imagine using 75% it would pay for the system and more then add your fits and export ....

Fuel bills are rising and people will be looking at this more than the fits soon.

I agree to a point, our customers seem to be much more interested in the electricity saved, but 50% use is only workable on smaller systems which cost more. It's almost impossible to use 50% of what you're generating. I work from home, we have a 4kwp system and we're reducing fuel bills by 28 - 30%. Some of the new stuff for diverting to immersion heaters is interesting but doesn't help the 50% of houses with combi boilers and battery back up hoofs the price up a lot and in my opinion is still not cost effective or environmentally friendly.

In an all electric house like this I think the savings could be considerable, especially if I swap the storage heater circuits to come on in the daytime.

My mum has a 4kW system, not ideally placed as it's at 20deg, and she is saving an average of £35 a month on her electric, so about 400 per year. On that basis, if I change our useage sensibly, I reckon even at 7.5p I could make it work, bearing in mind the reduced cost of installation. I haven't had an electric bill yet, but in a 4 bedroom all electric house with an EPC of G it aint gonna be small!

This is the government for ya
moving the goalposts surely that should be exempt
dont forget you may need planning too as its on listed land

In an all electric house like this I think the savings could be considerable, especially if I swap the storage heater circuits to come on in the daytime.

My mum has a 4kW system, not ideally placed as it's at 20deg, and she is saving an average of £35 a month on her electric, so about 400 per year. On that basis, if I change our useage sensibly, I reckon even at 7.5p I could make it work, bearing in mind the reduced cost of installation. I haven't had an electric bill yet, but in a 4 bedroom all electric house with an EPC of G it aint gonna be small!

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but won't you need the heat in Winter when the pv isn't going to be generating? Even at 10kwp that would only produce maybe 4kwp in the Winter over a whole day and sometimes we're only producing 200w in a day so 500w on a 10kwp system. We have electric underfloor heating in one room and the pv doesn't touch it in the Winter.

What's your Mum's secret, using 2,850 kwh of what's generated a year is great, must be around 75%? Other than heating everything else is electric and we've saved about £125 ish (26% of the 3450 we generated)over a year. We do all the washing, ironing, lawnmowing, dishwashing and tumble drying through the day when we're generating so there's only really the evening meal that's using any extra.

SRE what do you do about the kids, mine come home the Xbox goes on, the PS3 goes on, the two computers go on, the MP3 players and amps go on :party:, !!!! (And then they sleep till lunchtime in the hols :sleeping: )

And when do you get the time to do the lawnmowing :)

I have to confess - my kid is 24! He sings on cruises so he's away from home most of the time :) I used to mow the lawn through the day because I couldn't sleep and did a lot of work through the night. Now I mow the lawn through the day because I'm waiting for the phone to ring!!

Reply to The Folly of EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock