Discuss The Folly of EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Are you not busy ?
Where abouts in the country are you?

North West, almost all enquiries are from people with properties that can't make the D rating. There's hardly anything going on in a 40 mile radius of where we are.

We had our property EPC'd today.

The Energy Assesor had the same opinion though as like SRE we have a LOT of oil fired properties around here with no mains gas, al lot of old housing stock built in the 30's with no cavity wall insulation, so they struggle to get a D, wheras in his mind it is exactly those properties that would benefit from the PV.. he reckoned it was about face, and the A and B's don't need it .... so the more you need it the higher your FIT should be :) and make it attractive and easy for those that need it , and not so attractive for those that don't.

The Energy Assesor had the same opinion though as like SRE we have a LOT of oil fired properties around here with no mains gas, al lot of old housing stock built in the 30's with no cavity wall insulation, so they struggle to get a D, wheras in his mind it is exactly those properties that would benefit from the PV.. he reckoned it was about face, and the A and B's don't need it .... so the more you need it the higher your FIT should be :) and make it attractive and easy for those that need it , and not so attractive for those that don't.

Make that Energy Assessor Prime Minister!!!!! He's got my vote :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do feel for you chaps, passing an EPC on any of our jobs we get is a given.

I think even if there wasnt this EPC crap, business wouldnt be any better. PV is back to a cottage industry, from 2 week (last yr) now to planning/"hoping" for 1 a month. The mad rushes are getting less and less November was stupidily busy, February was managable, August we're done and dusted although one might come through (pending planning). Some would call it a hobby rather than a business !!

I think even if there wasnt this EPC crap, business wouldnt be any better. PV is back to a cottage industry, from 2 week (last yr) now to planning/"hoping" for 1 a month. The mad rushes are getting less and less November was stupidily busy, February was managable, August we're done and dusted although one might come through (pending planning). Some would call it a hobby rather than a business !!

Same here, there is just not that level of interest anymore and we have been advertising!

We'd definitely have more work if we didn't have to deal with EPC's but probably not the same amount as last year. I'd hate to go back to the stresses of November though - a happy medium is all we're asking for.

That's kind of why I asked Worcester as I would have thought those with lowest EPC are the ones that need it the most.

Me thinks they want to turn the focus off FIT onto their new baby the 'Green Con' oops, Green Deal, which will allow a commercial loan at 7% taken as a second charge on your property to pay for your PV to get you up to a D or better. And of course being green con oops deal, funded means they don't have to allow for FIT (I know who pays FIT they just have to count it in and out..) But then, maybe I'm a cynic..

It definitely is linked up with the Green Deal and overalll energy programme of trying to bring the housing stock up to D, unfortunately they have shot themselves in the foot by making attaining D a minimum requirement.

(See elswhere on Green Deal, all sectors predict a DROP in stalltions of cavity wall, double glazing, loft insulation when the Green Deal comes in...)

So the answhere to you question is Politics, as opposed to carbon / CO2 reduction.

I disagree worcester

I firmly believe the Government wants centralised energy production so they can stay in the pay of the big 6.
They don't want people generating and using their own electricity, looks bad on the profit and loss you know, upsets the shareholders over their breakfast.

@Moggy1968 OK, but all they have to do to achive that is to modify the FIT like germany where you choose to get to use the power your generate at one rate or export it at another. (another comprehensive review...so I guess they have discounted that)

The reason deemed is set at 50% is that the average export is far higher - probably nearer 75%, as people are yet astute enough to fully manage what is generated, so the big 6 and all the other FIT providers are actually laughing all the way to the FREE Energy Bank ... (I still haven't worked out quite where / who the unmetered export is credited to..)

I think one thing that is stopping them is the lack of smart metering, they don't want to pay for that.
It also still leaves the fact that people are using their own energy. The big six don't want that, they want to produce everything because thats what makes profits
Personally I would be happy with a lower FiT and better export rate.
If they bought the energy at 10p, they are selling for around 15 so they are still making a tidy pound or 2 on that.

Reply to The Folly of EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock