Discuss The forum is more complicated than the electrical wiring I want help with... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spg

...though I'm not likely to die if I make a mistake on the forum. I would like to post the following question in the DIY forum:

I have replaced a wall light fitting which was operated by a wall switch near the door with a wall light fitting (in the same location as the previous wall light fitting) which incorporates a pull cord switch however, the pull cord is not near the door. The room is a ground floor w.c in my house. Does that meet UK regulations or must the pull cord be near to the door - where the previous light switch was? Thanks for any help offered.

IMG_20140901_062741233.jpg

Are you saying that you have taken the switch wiring out of the new light circuit and are just relying on the pull cord?

firstr thing is.... does the room contain a bath or a shower? if not, the there's nothing wrong with your set-up.

@Spoon: Correct, I have removed the switch and associated wiring.

@
telectrix: No bath, no shower. Currently there is just a toilet (but I'm thinking of replacing the current toilet with a new toilet with cistern/sink combination. Closest point of cistern and light would be just over 1 metre.

Thanks for your responses.

no problem then. all you have to concern yourself with is that the light is suitable for the environment.

I have read anecdotally that a light switch must be 1200mm from the finished floor surface and although I've not read anything regarding pull cord light positioning it seems likely to be specified if such a specification exists for a standard light switch.

You say you have removed the original light switch, is that correct? If so why (out of interest) and how have you made it safe? i could be reading this all wrong though.

@telectrix: Thanks, as the room is often damp (1950s construction of outdoor w.c.) I took the precaution of buying an IP44 bathroom light. Previously it was just a bare bayonet type bulb in a white plastic holder without room to shade or cover the bulb due to the proximity of the ceiling. I have seen condensation dripping off the bulb - it was a concern.

@driverman: The previous light switch was wired power first to the light, then to the switch so I was able to remove the switch wiring to the light without effecting the power to the light. I removed the switch mostly because the cable/conduit connecting it did not adhere to the contours of the wall such that in places there was a 5cm gap behind the cable/conduit and wall and it passed in front of the window to the room. It didn't seem safe and was ugly. I can buy a longer cable and new conduit to fit it more accurately should it be recommended that a switch be used. Thanks for your response.

I have read anecdotally that a light switch must be 1200mm from the finished floor surface and although I've not read anything regarding pull cord light positioning it seems likely to be specified if such a specification exists for a standard light switch.

that is a building regulation for the height of wall switches in new-builds. . the 1200mm height is to allow access by disabled persons. it has nothing to do with your situation.

Reply to The forum is more complicated than the electrical wiring I want help with... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net