Discuss The importance of inspection with the eyes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Recently, my wife and I organised a charity supper and we cooked for it using 20 slow cookers borrowed from family and friends. I was pre-occupied with cooking, but my wife - who I had taught how to wire a plug years ago - thought it would be a good idea to check the plugs on those we had borrowed. This is what she found:

IMG_0805(1).jpg IMG_0805(1).jpg IMG_0799(1).jpg IMG_0799(1).jpg IMG_0799(1).jpg

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
That one where the live wire is trapped in the screw holding the plug together is a good one!

MarkRibbands

Regular EF Member
A friend tells me that in that the 'olden days'... slow cookers used a 100w filament lamp as the heat source.
Yup, cf. Dimplex 'Flying saucer' bed warmers with a filament lamp inside, with matt black internal paint (nice, but somewhat hopeful, physics :)). I still have two, in bright 60's pink and yellow.

Tell you what though: there's two egregious examples of plug-top wiring, but all hail the British three-pin: although horrible, neither of these were actually dangerous.

KEV 1 N

Electrician's Arms
This was probably why manufactures started to fit moulded plugs to their products.
I can just about remember when they didn’t come with plugs and I got this
6CA5EA30-AE58-4A99-930C-D5C3D41A53B4.jpeg
one Christmas, and remember my dad having to rake around in the garage for a plug to put on it.......i think he ended up chopping the plug off the lawn mower!

Andy78

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Ever been stuck on a job for a plug and had to nick one off your own kit-such as an extension lead ? Just asking,never ever happened to me. :rolleyes::D
Not me but my work mate constantly suffers from this syndrome, usually affecting his working day as he forgets to put a plug back on essential equipment.
His home CU was also at one point full of replacement mcbs due to him robbing all his own rcbos for jobs.

You can't help people like that.

OP
marconi

marconi

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Is it just me? But the missing plastic plugs over the securing screws for the top right hand socket spoils the image....

Reactions: DPG

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.