Discuss The LAW PRECISELY for cutting a DNO seal at the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatBob

-
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone one actually been prosecuted for this on the forum?

The reason I ask is what are you charged with, is it criminal damage, that being for the destruction and removal of a seal?

Clearly there would be no criminal intent for an electrician needing to isolate a supply, and I suspect no one has been charged with a straight forward offence.

However, there might be an EWA HS angle, in removal of the fuse.

Even if anyone reported it I doubt they could prove it - as already mentioned today they have a habit of falling off, and quite often the previous tenant or some other spark will have removed it years ago.
Apparently if you call the REC and ask them to come out and isolate the supply they'll just tell you to pull the fuse anyway.

The way I see it they're a bit like warranty seals - unqualified people shouldn't go poking around in there but it's not like the 'electrical police' are going to run a series of dawn raids in an effort to clamp down on unauthorised fuse removal.

On a three phase supply I was working on the DNO installed an isolator. While trying to fit the seals he broke the lugs off two of the fuse holders, it was below freezing at the time. He did not seem bothered.

I was doing a CU change when the NIE man walked in to change the meter to a pre pay meter. I had the fuse pulled. All he said was when you are finished phone in and we will send someone out to put new seals on. That was it.

I haven't 'pulled the fuse' for some time now, however, I would have no worries about pulling it again.

The DNO will not come out when you require them to.

Ive done hundreds of rewires and have always pulled the fuse when it came to connecting up......if you get a problem legally then blame it on me (or one of the other thousands of domestic installers that are working).

Be safe, pull the fuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was asked do i ever cut the seals to remove the fuse for isolation , my answer was yes i have no choice you contact the DNO they dont turn up , so what are you suposed to do , let them prosicute and see where i goes

and here was me thinking that seals were a protected species.

Reply to The LAW PRECISELY for cutting a DNO seal at the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net