Discuss The maximum value for Zs on a TT system is 50/I delta. So for a 30mA RCd is 1667 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

because with TN earthing, the Zs should be < Zs(max.) for the OCPD, whereas with TT this is not usually possible, so you are relyingon the RCD for fault protection rather than the OCPD.

strange that before the advent of RCDs, when the main earth was from the incoming lead water supply, we had Ze values way below what was achievable with a rod. now this is banned.?????

Yes but they installed a voelcb for TT installations before rcd’s but I’ve never witnessed a low enough Ze off a water pipe personally.
Maybe because they were all changed to plastic at some point we can’t rely upon water pipes unless a private supply and care is taken against its alteration and removal

strange that before the advent of RCDs, when the main earth was from the incoming lead water supply, we had Ze values way below what was achievable with a rod. now this is banned.?????

That's because they're ripping these pipes out and using PVC instead. So they can no longer be relied on.

Me, I've only ever installed rods in quarries, and I had the blast shot drilling rig to bore me some nice 30m deep holes. A 30m rod, back filled with bentonite in a saturated limestone table. Sub 1 ohm was real easy to achieve. Especially for new substations where 4 to 6 of these rods were connected around the perimeter.

Not exactly feasible at someones terraced house.

Morning all. Have I misunderstood this thread? RCDs are fine for fault protection:

411.4 TN system
411.4.5 The following types of protective device may be used for fault protection:
(i) An overcurrent protective device
(ii) An RCD.

on a TN installation, the Zs values should be compliant with OCPD disconnection times, if you've not made a cock-up of the design. using RCDs as a "get out of jail" card is, IMO, sloppy,unprofessional, and just lazy. leave that shyte to the septics with there GFD crap .

Telectrix, what you've just said directly contradicts the reg I quoted above. Can you back it up with another regulation please?

Bear in mind disconnection times only apply to earth faults, not short circuits

Telectrix, what you've just said directly contradicts the reg I quoted above. Can you back it up with another regulation please?

Bear in mind disconnection times only apply to earth faults, not short circuits
a RCD should only be used for fault protection where the Zs values exceed those in tables for each OCPD. e.g. in a TT system where the Ze is too high to achieve compliant figures. RCDs that are not regularly tested have been known to stick.' sometimes an unnoticed N-E fault will prevent the RCD from tripping. i would not rely on one for fault protection unless absolutely necessary.

That's true, RCDs can stick, however, they can and should be tested, and replaced if faulty. The same cannot be said for MCBs - we only have blind faith that they will do their duty when the times comes. I understand that MCBs are manufactured to be more reliable, but you see my point?

The IET are fine with us using RCDs as fault protection - the max length tables for standard circuits in the OSG have columns of longer values specifically for RCD protected circuits on TN systems

maybe old school, but been brought up before RDCs were even invented. back in the 70's , local DNOs were converting to PME so as to ensure disconnections as used to be called eebads, now ads. before then a fault could take a fortnight to diss supply. not good if you got a live -earth fault.

In answer to the OP, it seems a max Zs of 1667 for a 30mA RCD does in fact apply to TN systems, see reg 411.4.204

Surely the REF should RED card this at any higher than 1/8 of 1667 Ohms on stability grounds for TT .
(I know not TN , but 1k6-Ohms is more theory-than practice)

Agreed, it would imply that something is seriously wrong somewhere. However, it does mean, all other things being correct, that lazy types like me can ignore max disconnection times calculations
slippery slope. do you then ignore the lack of cpc's to metal fittings, sockets close to a bath, andonandonandon.

Reply to The maximum value for Zs on a TT system is 50/I delta. So for a 30mA RCd is 1667 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock