Discuss The maximum value for Zs on a TT system is 50/I delta. So for a 30mA RCd is 1667 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

slippery slope. do you then ignore the lack of cpc's to metal fittings, sockets close to a bath, andonandonandon.
Haha, those are non compliances, I'm not that much of a cowboy. I appreciate that you old timers may not believe in RCDs, but I do. As we all agree, you'd never get anything close to 1667Ω in any healthy circuit meeting voltage drop demands etc, so disconnection times are met by default

That's because they're ripping these pipes out and using PVC instead. So they can no longer be relied on.

Me, I've only ever installed rods in quarries, and I had the blast shot drilling rig to bore me some nice 30m deep holes. A 30m rod, back filled with bentonite in a saturated limestone table. Sub 1 ohm was real easy to achieve. Especially for new substations where 4 to 6 of these rods were connected around the perimeter.

Not exactly feasible at someones terraced house.
Went through that experience on De Beers,Venetia Diamond Mine in South Africa.
The ground conditions were solid rock and climate was dry (lucky to see rain once a year)
From what I can remember it was very challenging and very expensive.
There again De Beers could afford it

The problem with RCBO's & RCD's is that they are not regularly tested and the mechanism sticks.

Post #14 old chap.

Some questions for all you RCD-phobic types:

If you are so concerned about RCDs failing (which I grant you they do), what are you doing about cables installed <50mm deep? Are you using pyro or SWA or similar, or running them in earthed metallic containment? Or are you chasing out deeper than 50mm perhaps?

Same for steel stud walls?

Are you sup bonding everything in bathrooms?

How are you testing your MCBs to ensure that they are working as they should be?

Reply to The maximum value for Zs on a TT system is 50/I delta. So for a 30mA RCd is 1667 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock