Discuss The Mighty 3 Phase Flash in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

Just to say i have been a vitcim of a shoddy elctricians workmanship, and his poor isolation skills.

Happened to be working in a local factory, and installing some Earth Bars in 2 old style Crabtree C50 boards.

anyway, my supervisor was working in the board, with the cover off and all still live ( all will know how scary the insides look with open busbars and the incoming cables with no isolator.)

back to the story, installing a new earth bar, and dilled the fixings for the bar, and he screwed it back to the side of the board, he started to remove some of the cpc's and an almighty great crack!! knocking both of us back, and being blinded. the PFC was 24.6 KA!! (earth loop around 0.02 ohms)

Found out the we took out the incomer to the building, through the main switch (200 A HBC's) and the main incomer (EDF service head) raed at 315 A!

Not bad?

Shame im going to be out of work for over a month with arc eye and serious sight problems. (oh and just to let know this is my missus writting!)

Cooooooooooooooooooooool!!!

Seriously though.

As Wayne said, get well soon mate.

Hi all,

Just to say i have been a vitcim of a shoddy elctricians workmanship, and his poor isolation skills.

Happened to be working in a local factory, and installing some Earth Bars in 2 old style Crabtree C50 boards.

anyway, my supervisor was working in the board, with the cover off and all still live ( all will know how scary the insides look with open busbars and the incoming cables with no isolator.)

back to the story, installing a new earth bar, and dilled the fixings for the bar, and he screwed it back to the side of the board, he started to remove some of the cpc's and an almighty great crack!! knocking both of us back, and being blinded. the PFC was 24.6 KA!! (earth loop around 0.02 ohms)

Found out the we took out the incomer to the building, through the main switch (200 A HBC's) and the main incomer (EDF service head) raed at 315 A!

Not bad?

Shame im going to be out of work for over a month with arc eye and serious sight problems. (oh and just to let know this is my missus writting!)

Sorry to here that but what are you going to tell the HSE when they come knocking as they wiil have to be informed under RIDDOR regulations.

If they think that the isolation was not done correct someone is libel to end up in the dock make sure it's not you.:eek:

what exactly went wrong ? who didn't isolate or who incorrectly wired in the 1st place?

erm... after looking at the very bugger'd breaker ( that i sneakily put in my tool box) it looks like the internals of the breaker caused a short. in this sequence, live to earth fault caused by the trailling earth, the breaker tried to operate, jammed up, some of the parts shorted between phases, and booom!

Th situation is, im stillcurrently off work with ark eye, and swollen retenai ( sorry about the spelling!) er, and as far as i know when i got back to work there is going to be a site visit, and a meeting about what happened, along with statements etc. The really stupid part about this situation is the guy i worked with was the deputy manager, and had permission from the factory manager for lock off ( perminant isolation for a period of time!) but yet still tried his bloody luck and did it live, and after all this im the innocent party with the blooming injury!

Last edited by a moderator:
erm... after looking at the very bugger'd breaker ( that i sneakily put in my tool box) it looks like the internals of the breaker caused a short. in this sequence, live to earth fault caused by the trailling earth, the breaker tried to operate, jammed up, some of the parts shorted between phases, and booom!

Th situation is, im stillcurrently off work with ark eye, and swollen retenai ( sorry about the spelling!) er, and as far as i know when i got back to work there is going to be a site visit, and a meeting about what happened, along with statements etc. The really stupid part about this situation is the guy i worked with was the deputy manager, and had permission from the factory manager for lock off ( perminant isolation for a period of time!) but yet still tried his bloody luck and did it live, and after all this im the innocent party with the blooming injury!

If thats the case a little trip down to a solicitors is called for I think;)

Is the deputy manager suspended at present?

Don't loose the breaker as that will be needed when investigation starts

please do as ian says by the sounds of it you could do this through a no win no fee claim either way they'll tell you if you have a claim
by trailing earth on the breaker was this an rcbo?

hi,
are they paying you sick pay ,if so this could be construded as a admission of guilt ,as you were an assistant ,the deputy manager should have had your safety in mind ,he was neglegent and proved incompitent,i cant get my head around what went wrong electricly ,but he should have carried out the correct isolation precedure,its not aceptable these days to work live if theres no reason ,was a permit to work issued ,if so you have a very good basis for a claim,i dont really agree with the compensation culture ,but you are inocent,and i feel within your rights to make a claim
i would dissmiss the manager if i was the factory boss.ask why this was not done ,as working with him again would bew plain stupid
get well soon ,lucky b.
atvbitwww

It can be ,ive had it a few times welding without a mask ,its very sore ,the kind of flash he would have got would be a different colour ,not quite as bright so i think hell be ok,but no harm in blagging a bit of sick leave out of it.
atvbitwwwe

The breaker Wasnt an RCBO but an old crabtree board ( black MCB's!) daed around the 70's ish!

hi,
are they paying you sick pay ,if so this could be construded as a admission of guilt ,as you were an assistant ,the deputy manager should have had your safety in mind ,he was neglegent and proved incompitent,i cant get my head around what went wrong electricly ,but he should have carried out the correct isolation precedure,its not aceptable these days to work live if theres no reason ,was a permit to work issued ,if so you have a very good basis for a claim,i dont really agree with the compensation culture ,but you are inocent,and i feel within your rights to make a claim
i would dissmiss the manager if i was the factory boss.ask why this was not done ,as working with him again would bew plain stupid
get well soon ,lucky b.
atvbitwww
well as far as i know there was an agreement, between all electricans/trainees to isolate, as long as the other factory staff knew prior to it happening.Also my boss has put me on SSP (stat. Sick pay) very kind of him! so im am considering compo because i feel i need to claim the money i've personally lost due to someone else's poor workmanship. Also the person who caused the accodent (the deputy manager) is still working! and noting else has been said. if anything im being treated worse out of all this and im the victim. I cant wait to see the report notes! I tink im gonna cry with laughter!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know those old crabtree boards and there death traps ( condemned several of them during a PIR on a hotel in Torquay). Frankly the deputy manager should be up before court.

Well apart from working on a live board, drilling and connecting loose cables which is illegal as it was possible to isolate..
the circuit breaker you mentioned could not handle the fault level - old C50s are only rated at 4.5kA - so would not have operated safely anyway.
The design was wrong and the routine PIR should have picked this up. If that board had HRC backup protection, the fault would not have been so great and your injuries may well have been less.
So the company and your super are guilty on two counts, unsafe installation and negligent live working.
HSE will have a field day! I'd hate to be defending.
Mike

My apologies on dredging up a year old thread :eek: but am interested to know the outcome of this event.

Regards
silva.foxx

Reply to The Mighty 3 Phase Flash in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock