Discuss The need to enclose wago connectors in a box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ARCElectrical

Hi all,
I am a BIG fan of the Wago connectors, but am I required to enclose them in a box? They seem to me, to be very well insulated in themselves....

????

BS 7671:2008 Ammended to 2011 Reg:521.10.1 States Non-sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking. This requirement does not apply to a protective conductor complying with Section 543.
Non-sheathed cables are permitted if the cable trunking system provides at least the degree of protection IPXXD or IP4X.

Seems very clear now, thanks micky86.

I can only conclude that the outer sheath of a 2.5mm csa T&E is considered to be a "Cable Trunking System" providing at least IPXXD or IP4X.

wx2 steel trunking buried in mrs jones's stting room walls, can you?ell, you can't have 2

Wago do boxes with inbuilt cable grips don't they?

You can use chocblox, wagobox or line enclosures. If you don't like any of those, use an adaptable box. Loads of ways to safely enclose a wago connector.

Edit... And yes, they must be enclosed somehow.

BS 7671:2008 Ammended to 2011 Reg:521.10.1 States Non-sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking. This requirement does not apply to a protective conductor complying with Section 543.
Non-sheathed cables are permitted if the cable trunking system provides at least the degree of protection IPXXD or IP4X.

Seems very clear now, thanks micky86.

I can only conclude that the outer sheath of a 2.5mm csa T&E is considered to be a "Cable Trunking System" providing at least IPXXD or IP4X.

No problem.... Now if only there was a thanks button..... Haha

No, it is a sheath, hence why the Regulations refer to "non-sheathed cables". Therefore that does not apply to sheathed cables, such as twin and skin.

So . . . . .

Asking this another way, is it ok to fit a jb with the insulation showing on the outside or with the guards in the wrong place? Course not so what's the difference?

Reply to The need to enclose wago connectors in a box in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock