Discuss the new am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sean123

hi, i have just done my am2, which is the new version. i was never given a lot of information before hand so i will list done the equipment you have to install, this might help some people who dont know what to expect or never had any decent information given, like my self.

s plan heating system with solar sustainable energy element. basically a solar panel which controls a cylinder and has a sensor which is supposed to be on roof. 2 port valves, sensors for solar panels and boiler allready have pre wired flexes. the joint box is like a push in connector and u use feral crimps to terminate. all the information is the just follow the drawing. really quite easy.

3 phase motor - just supply in from board to pre wired dol starter and take the suplly out to the motor from starter in sy flex. so dont worry about control circuit because its allready there.

cat 5 - just one cat 5 from one out let and the other end goes to another outlet.

smoke alarm - fp from board to unswitched fuse spur then out on to tray ( use fp clips not cable ties) and to a carbon monoxide detector. thats it for that.

lighting - 2 way and intermediate with 1 light only in pvc/pvc.

ring - few sockets with one socket spuring of to another socket.

main bond to incoming gas and water.

6mm swa to a isolator which then feeds a 3 phase commando socket.

and thats it really.

they chuck in different size breakers in the box so that u have to think on which breaker to use, allthough u get give a db chart.

i hope this might help people who are about to take the new am2, so that you know what to expect.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, i have just done my am2, which is the new version. i was never given a lot of information before hand so i will list done the equipment you have to install, this might help some people who dont know what to expect or never had any decent information given, like my self.

s plan heating system with solar sustainable energy element. basically a solar panel which controls a cylinder and has a sensor which is supposed to be on roof. 2 port valves, sensors for solar panels and boiler allready have pre wired flexes. the joint box is like a push in connector and u use feral crimps to terminate. all the information is the just follow the drawing. really quite easy.

3 phase motor - just supply in from board to pre wired dol starter and take the suplly out to the motor from starter in sy flex. so dont worry about control circuit because its allready there.

cat 5 - just one cat 5 from one out let and the other end goes to another outlet.

smoke alarm - fp from board to unswitched fuse spur then out on to tray ( use fp clips not cable ties) and to a carbon monoxide detector. thats it for that.

lighting - 2 way and intermediate with 1 light only in pvc/pvc.

ring - few sockets with one socket spuring of to another socket.

main bond to incoming gas and water.

6mm swa to a isolator which then feeds a 3 phase commando socket.

and thats it really.

Seems like a walk in the park compared to the old one......no pyro, no galv conduit, motor control is now done for you......that'll be summit skills trying their best to wreck the "qualified electrician" by dumbing down the quals again.:rolleyes:

Exactly what happens with these guys when they have to install galv conduit, form sets and bends in galv trunking and especially when they have to terminate MICC.

I am currently doing a job with all of the above.

i asked the bloke at the centre why galv conduit was took out and he said beacause it was level 2 or summin.

u have to do the installation in 7.5 hours tho, not 10 like the old one (think it was 10) the 7.5 hours fly by tho.

and i could not use my own tools which annoyed me quite a bit. they supply the tools. i dont know if thats the same all around or not.

na u get an hour to do the safe isolation procedure and a written risk assessment. well thats what i got any way. i have to say allthough the description of work doesnt sound like it would take 7.5 hours, you do have to work pretty quick, very suprising how the time goes by.

i wud of been better of with the old am2 tho, i bang in steel pipe on most jobs along with a few control circuits.

the only advice i would say is dont spend too much time dressing the cables like i did, they are most concerned with all the cables made of nicely and identified correctly and that it all works. u have 3,5 hours to do the testing including paper work and i did it in 90mins. everything worked fine, including the s plan which i was skeptical about since never done one before,

O right thanks.

Do you get given a risk assessment form and you just fill it in?

Do they give you a cable marking kit or do they just want all live cables sleeved brown?

well, they had a i dent kit to ident in the board. but yea on the heatin cct and lightling and all that slleve all live conductors brown :)

u just get given the risk assessment sheet to fill in. nothin major

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, were the pretty straight forward or difficult?

Suppose you just had short circuit, open circuit and reversed polarity?

Were any of those visual?

Did you have to calculate the overload settings for motor or are they printed?

ARe cable clips required for lighting or is all the t+e enclosed?

I was told you could not fail on the galv conduit. If you mucked your bit up you got there prefab bit and this was no were near enough marks to straight up fail.

there is no containment to do whatsoever. no overload calculation ( well i didnt do it and i passed.) and the twin and earth for lights is all in containment allready there. just 1 light controlled by 2 way intermediate, i HAD to wire it in the way they wanted it tho, which was feed to switch, switchline out from same switch and strappers all out same switch.

Reply to the new am2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net