Discuss The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
You might remember this delight from the dodgy trade pictures thread....
The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668080446252 - EletriciansForums.net

I finally got back to quote for sorting today.
The chicken and egg question was whether the plumber or the sparks did this. The confusion was there were no fixing holes visible from a previous position. Yet the water pipe is in line with the incoming supply arriving in MPDE though a screed floor. But the insulation is stripped back suggesting it was once in a sensible place.

It was when I noticed that next door's identical house didn't have the door that I was using that the penny dropped.
Yep, new door; the builder did it!

The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668080661876 - EletriciansForums.net

Ok, let's look inside....
The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668080839776 - EletriciansForums.net
So apart from mis-matched devices, being held by one dry-wall screw to the ceiling, wiring stretched to the limit, and IP rating being seriously compromised, it's fine!

Then I saw it:

The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668080889128 - EletriciansForums.net

House is and always has been PME. I'm very familiar with this estate and they are all Legrand normal split load boards. Why the ---- is it a100ma device?!?! Surely that's got to be someone messing up when replacing a failed RCD?

Anyway, a new RCBO board would solve a lot of issues, as hopefully the Neutral's will then reach. And they are only using 12 ways so a smaller board should fit. I have a feeling there's some fun ahead here.

Attachments

• The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668080865687 - EletriciansForums.net
    1668080865687.png
    514.4 KB · Views: 26
Now i'm no builder... and please correct me if i'm wrong..... but shouldn't there be a lintel above that door?
I think there's an I-beam RSJ, I could see the bottom of it above the door and it looks as though all of the blocks have been disturbed about it.
That could well introduce further fun - we'll see!

You might remember this delight from the dodgy trade pictures thread....
View attachment 103503

I finally got back to quote for sorting today.
The chicken and egg question was whether the plumber or the sparks did this. The confusion was there were no fixing holes visible from a previous position. Yet the water pipe is in line with the incoming supply arriving in MPDE though a screed floor. But the insulation is stripped back suggesting it was once in a sensible place.

It was when I noticed that next door's identical house didn't have the door that I was using that the penny dropped.
Yep, new door; the builder did it!

View attachment 103504

Ok, let's look inside....
View attachment 103505
So apart from mis-matched devices, being held by one dry-wall screw to the ceiling, wiring stretched to the limit, and IP rating being seriously compromised, it's fine!

Then I saw it:

View attachment 103507

House is and always has been PME. I'm very familiar with this estate and they are all Legrand normal split load boards. Why the ---- is it a100ma device?!?! Surely that's got to be someone messing up when replacing a failed RCD?

Anyway, a new RCBO board would solve a lot of issues, as hopefully the Neutral's will then reach. And they are only using 12 ways so a smaller board should fit. I have a feeling there's some fun ahead here.
It could be that they put the 100ma in because they were getting nuisance tripping and thought it to be a good idea.

I hope the homeowner is going to contact the builder about that !!

I think there's an I-beam RSJ, I could see the bottom of it above the door and it looks as though all of the blocks have been disturbed about it.
That could well introduce further fun - we'll see!
so what's to the right of the CU? A spur and flex to an outside light?

One of those 'builders' that doesnt really follow any guidelines and a homeowner that possibly didnt tell the council planning dept what they were planning?

Ive got houses in my street where the homeowners have cut through their understairs WC, fitted a door and made an entrance into the garage.....

so what's to the right of the CU? A spur and flex to an outside light?
Yep, and I was wondering how that passes through an RSJ - if there is one!
Obviously I'll redo that.

I hope the homeowner is going to contact the builder about that !!
They have just moved in. And it highlights how useless surveys are. They were going to buy a basket-case house that needed virtually rebuilding so they paid for a top-price 'full' survey. Then when it fell through they couldn't get a refund so requested a different address, the property in question.

I was then shown the 129 page survey. In the electrical installation section there's a photo of the CU, exactly as above, and it says "The garage consumer unit appears to be in a safe and serviceable condition" 🤣😂
It does then add the usual blurb about getting it inspected by a competent person as it's impossible to assess safety without ripping the place appart.

Now I know survey's are pretty water-tight about washing hands of all responsibility, but this one must be close to legitimate grounds for complaint when it's so obviously been monkeyed about with!

I asked whether the solicitor had picked up building regs / planning permission for the door during the purchase, or whether they got an EIC when they got the kitchen done as the board sticker is 2006. No to all of that.

I just about squeezed in a Fusebox in the end. I'm a bit annoyed I couldn't get it a tad higher but I needed enough space to use the top knockouts too. But it's at least screwed to a wall now, and a definite improvement.
I also felt brave starting this particular one at 3pm!

The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery 1668451350792 - EletriciansForums.net

I just about squeezed in a Fusebox in the end. I'm a bit annoyed I couldn't get it a tad higher but I needed enough space to use the top knockouts too. But it's at least screwed to a wall now, and a definite improvement.

View attachment 103669
Did you find out as to the reasoning of the 100ma rcd ?

View attachment 103669
Blimey Tim! Starting a CU change at 3pm is indeed brave. What time did you finish?
FYI, I have had to squeeze a couple of CU's above a door. The BG range are 230mm high and I believe the fusebox is around 255, so you eek out a few cm's which sometimes saves the day!
Thanks for the update, always good to get 😊

Blimey Tim! Starting a CU change at 3pm is indeed brave. What time did you finish?
I know the housing estate well, having done several EICRs on other properties, so it was a calculated risk! They are all usually ok, normally loose connections in sockets and sometimes ring neutrals mixed up in the N bar.
I was driving away by 6pm.
I went back the next morning to complete testing and paperwork (I was happy I'd tested enough to energise it overnight - I'd checked IR throughout and rings and did live Zs on every circuit)

The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Nice of them to leave the steps by the CU for you!

Reply to The next instalment of the chicken and egg mystery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock