Discuss The power of suggestion lol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Smart meters can distinguish what appliances are being used and when. They can log a profile of usage over a period of time which would include what appliances were switched on and off over that period as well as general load profile such as max demand and power factor etc. This info is then 'bounced from one smart meter to the next by wi-fi network until it reaches the central server. This means your smart meter isn't just transmitting your usage info intermittently, it's actually acting as a relay station for everyone else's info in the area so it's constantly receiving and transmitting.

There's lots of privacy issues as well as worries about the blanket of RF the networks of smart meters lay down.

The owners of the collected data can use it to determine your load profile and habits as a consumer. They also have a nasty habit of selling the data to anyone with the cash. Datamining is very big business.

I wouldn't allow one on my house either. The mistake that woman made was not emptying the magazine into the device after they fitted it.

Yeah you're not the most tolerant of nations, maybe we should all take a leaf out of your book.
Our rugby team certainly could do with doing that:)

well if only nic had it...(the power of sugestion that is)..........then maybe we would have had the benefits of AC before Nicola Tesla

Smart meters can distinguish what appliances are being used and when. They can log a profile of usage over a period of time which would include what appliances were switched on and off over that period as well as general load profile such as max demand and power factor etc. This info is then 'bounced from one smart meter to the next by wi-fi network until it reaches the central server. This means your smart meter isn't just transmitting your usage info intermittently, it's actually acting as a relay station for everyone else's info in the area so it's constantly receiving and transmitting.

There's lots of privacy issues as well as worries about the blanket of RF the networks of smart meters lay down.

The owners of the collected data can use it to determine your load profile and habits as a consumer. They also have a nasty habit of selling the data to anyone with the cash. Datamining is very big business.

I wouldn't allow one on my house either. The mistake that woman made was not emptying the magazine into the device after they fitted it.

Thanks Marvo , glad someone else shares my concerns , and for providing more technical info to back my earlier comments.

Have you ever noticed that any device/item whose description is prequelled by the term "smart" is usually lacking in the basic sound qualities which would allow it to be desired by folk because it was needed? ...This is why nobody has ever had to market "smart-beer" or "smart-pole-dancer"........:cheesy:

Rather than 'Smart' they should have been named 'too smart for their own good'. These things are way too Big Brother for my liking, they collect info just for the sake of it and the customer gets no benefits, I'm certainly not buying it that the power company needs to monitor power usage at such a granular level in order to provide better service. The power company makes a fortune selling the info.

The problem for me is what can be discovered by analyzing such info, they know what time you arrive home at night, what time you go to bed, whether you shower in the morning or not, whether anyone is home during the day, how many computers you have running at home and so on. I would also have grave concerns about the security of this data as it's cascade transmitted by wi-fi many times over.

Like I said these things aren't for me.

Have you ever noticed that any device/item whose description is prequelled by the term "smart" is usually lacking in the basic sound qualities which would allow it to be desired by folk because it was needed? ...This is why nobody has ever had to market "smart-beer" or "smart-pole-dancer"........:cheesy:

I think pole-dancers are a lot smarter than we are... they earn far more money for much less work.:tounge_smile:

I have no doubt that once the data can be collected it will be sold. I also have no confidence in the ability of the data owners/keepers to manage it securely. I have been assured that the data transmission is encrypted to a high level but as these meters will be in use for many years how long will it be before someone manages a hack to the encryption?

My blocker (Gohstery) says there are 10 trackers running on this site.

Am I paranoid, only slightly. Having been the victim of an attempted identity fraud I am very careful what I tell anybody about me.

Reply to The power of suggestion lol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock