Discuss The power of suggestion lol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think the authors of the US constitution didn't really intend it to be used for silly disputes like this, a total over reaction on her part to go and grab a gun but hey, we're in Texas Y'aal. As far as her husband's claim of the power supplier being able to tell what you're using and when, is that really possible or is it some sort of redneck conspiracy theory? Maybe he likes to look at naughty sites while his wife goes shopping and thinks she might find out:)

The ones where the young ladies can't afford clothes and where sexual favours are given and received. I've been told they exist mate

I watched a documentary that showed how monitoring of your power usage could be used, and when interpreted by an "expert",it could reveal tremendous amounts of information about a person,lifestyle,health etc

It was a little unpleasant to be told what these are capable of revealing, and for what benefit to the public ?
There will be no tangable benefit for the consumer,yet a possible, even if very small chance of Big Brother society creeping ever further into your life

I would want some reassuring evidence that there are benefits for the consume.r before the country subsidises the introduction of these meters

Lol,..... very amusing...... but seriously every type of appliance has a recognized 'signature' when switching in and out of the supply which basically means that this information is likely to be sold onto 3rd parties.
Just as your use of the internet indicates, you will notice that whenever you go onto various sites. You will have advertizing directly aimed at your interests.

Ive got an apt installed on computer that stop each site logging your interests in cookie form, it tells you too what the site is using to browse your habits, i believe this site has a few running in backgrounds as do all sites, but some have several running together all stealing your habitual traits.

I believe its a little less unnerving for younger people (who understand new communication technology far better than us ancient ones)to accept these possible intrusions

Even accepting that information is extracted about me, without my being aware.its another step again, to allow that information to be extracted unless I permit the deed,it sometimes seems that privacy is all but a memory of past times

The stupid.....it hurts......

How smart do people think these are anyway? Far as I know they can't tell the difference between a heater, kettle or lamp. And if you have access to that kind of equipment to hijack this, why would you be using it to do over some redneck's bungalow?

Suppose Henley will see a sudden uptake in their blocks for meter bypass, tinfoil hat stores may do well too :rofl:

A lot of people do not realise that utility companies ie water,gas,electricity have a "Statutory Right of Access" to your property UK law

A lot of people do not realise that utility companies ie water,gas,electricity have a "Statutory Right of Access" to your property UK law

I know that used to be the case when all the utilities were nationalised - I wonder if it survived privatisation intact. Obviously the companies have certain rights to access their owned equipment on your property, but I'm not sure it is as draconian as it once was. Anyone on here from the utility companies enlighten us?

PJ

I think the authors of the US constitution didn't really intend it to be used for silly disputes like this, a total over reaction on her part to go and grab a gun but hey, we're in Texas Y'aal. As far as her husband's claim of the power supplier being able to tell what you're using and when, is that really possible or is it some sort of redneck conspiracy theory? Maybe he likes to look at naughty sites while his wife goes shopping and thinks she might find out:)

The guy is absolutely correct Trev , a smart meter can monitor , how , when , what power you use - its exactly the same for the smart meters in this country as well.
Although i'm not as paranoid as your average american i also think its a big intrusion and a stealthy way of collecting data that you have no control of how its used.
Big brother IS watching.
now wheres my shotgun ?

Maybe , but i'd like to see them put that right into action without police assistance.
If they want to cut you off its more than likely a street-side disconnection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy is absolutely correct Trev , a smart meter can monitor , how , when , what power you use - its exactly the same for the smart meters in this country as well.

But not what it is thats using the power...

The meters outside too so dont think theres much risk from them getting 'sick' from the signal...

Total over reaction...

But not what it is thats using the power...

The meters outside too so dont think theres much risk from them getting 'sick' from the signal...

Total over reaction...

i dont think so , unless you know what is done with the data is collected ?
and i dont understand your comment getting sick from the signal ? unless you mean some sort of health hazard , which i never implied or even mentioned anyway ??

Reply to The power of suggestion lol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock