Discuss The Ring is dead, long live the Radial!⚡ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Number of sockets to install is also a factor. 1 point on a ring is a bit pointless....
Well if you are talking BIG sockets and have to double up conductors for current carrying capacity...

But exactly the point. For a couple of sockets radial is the best plan, for a whole floor's worth (or high-ish power density like a kitchen, or high protective conductor currents like computer room) then the ring rules them all.

What is the big deal? Click-bait? Oh yes, it worked...

surprised that nobody has commented that rings are for cooking on. ( chip pan/frying pan/saucepan). :p :p :p .

I have had a terrible day, and this post has just topped it, what a stupid thread, going back on the red wine.
You got a disagree from me big time

If it was intended as a straightforward question about rings and radials then the title was not very well thought out!

As has already been stated an 'either or' question is far too simplistic, both rings and radials have their uses.
I think it is worth summarising what I see as some disadvantages of both circuits.

Existing rings...(on EICR's for example) are an absolute pain to verify. Unknown layouts and non-textbook readings mean verifying the possible presence of spurs from spurs, interconnections etc is time consuming and involves much dismantling. Most of us use plug in testing adaptors which often produce odd readings due to contact or switch resistance on ancient outlets, the only certain way is to drop the points and use probes straight onto terminations, disruptive, time consuming and damaging to surface finish. Real time constraints when carrying out EICR's at acceptable cost mean ring circuits are often not properly verified and the inspector has to make judgement calls on whether the circuit is correctly wired. That said I love testing my own rings and calculating whether measured readings are spot on!
As far as radials go there was a long thread on here a while back where an OP stated rings should be outlawed because they are often abused by Kev the kitchen fitter and DIY Dave, his point was radials are much safer.
But unskilled persons being unable to correctly alter a ring is not a reason for banning it, ban Kev and Dave...not the ring!!
That point of view also ignores the potential danger of a radial. One bad or broken connection of the cpc may result in every downstream point working and apparently ok but not having an earth.
I think the safest circuit of all is a radial serving one point from a 16 or 20a OCPD, but the practicalities of that with the number of points modern properties require make it a non starter, not only for the capacity of DB required, but for the sheer quantity of wiring involved.
It is though an interesting phenomenon that many people are completely incapable of altering a ring, and finishing up still with a ring, and not just Kev and Dave. A ring is one of the simplest of all circuits, just a loop of cable which starts and finishes at the same point, and yet it continually seems to generate utter incompetence.

People think rings are bad , I recently watched a video of a guy wiring his house in America and he put lights and sockets on the same circuit using the same sized cable and kept calling it ‘roughing’ in his wiring...

it was blooming rough and at every point he stripped the cores back & twisted the bare copper earths together and shoved them in the back of each box so he had just the L & N to connect later

People think rings are bad , I recently watched a video of a guy wiring his house in America and he put lights and sockets on the same circuit using the same sized cable and kept calling it ‘roughing’ in his wiring...

it was blooming rough and at every point he stripped the cores back & twisted the bare copper earths together and shoved them in the back of each box so he had just the L & N to connect later
and no doubt a proliferation of fire nuts. on another forum, predominantly American, several members praise their silly wire nuts and condemn wagos.

Yeah, I was watching the ideal international sparky championship. Aussie, Canadian, American and a Chinese fella in the final. Someone in the comments section asked where the British entry was. The comments were “Anyone who uses Rings, are not invited” and the like. These foreign morons have no idea of the concept. They probably would have trouble wiring one.

Reply to The Ring is dead, long live the Radial!⚡ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net