Discuss The usual career change dilemma in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electricidiot

Hi all,
Please please bear with me on this.At 50 I cant take my present job any more and was thinking of doing the MET-UK Domestic Electrician-Installation,Testing and Verification (level3) course.
The course
provides the following qualifications:-BPEC (LEVEL3) Essential Electrics.
BPEC (level3)Part P Electrics-b&c scope.
BPEC (level3) Part P Electrics-a scope.
C&G (2377) PAT.
C&G (2382)-17th Edition regs.
C&G (2392-10) .
All this happens in a 6wk course with 4wks work placement thrown in-Question-Can I go self employed after such a short course and make a living ????
P.S. All this for about 5 grand,as much feedback as possible please.

Hi electricidiot
yes,go for it why not ,everyone else is ,
you will learn every thing you need to on the four weeks work placement,and its dead easy work,
5 grands cheap,good bargain,and you will probably make a good living,yeah it sounds a good deal
,all the best with it ---

oh and i love your handle ,it suits you

YouTube - electrical accident

Hi all,
Please please bear with me on this.At 50 I cant take my present job any more and was thinking of doing the MET-UK Domestic Electrician-Installation,Testing and Verification (level3) course.
The course
C&G (2377) PAT.
C&G (2392-10) .
All this happens in a 6wk course with 4wks work placement thrown in-Question-Can I go self employed after such a short course and make a living ????

pmsl

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
The course
C&G (2377) PAT.
C&G (2392-10) .

cant comment on this training provider, but where do all these Level 3's come from?

'BPEC' is not a recognised qualifiaction, and (for example) the EAL Domestic Installers course is Level 2, as is the C&G 2392-10, what ever they are offering, it certainly isnt Level 3!!!

oh, and the 2377, is that the full course, or just the 'mickey mouse, useless by-iteslf' unit 002?

i meet many people who claim to be qualified PAT testers when they only have half the qual!!!

cant comment on this training provider, but where do all these Level 3's come from?

'BPEC' is not a recognised qualifiaction, and (for example) the EAL Domestic Installers course is Level 2, as is the C&G 2392-10, what ever they are offering, it certainly isnt Level 3!!!

oh, and the 2377, is that the full course, or just the 'mickey mouse, useless by-iteslf' unit 002?

i meet many people who claim to be qualified PAT testers when they only have half the qual!!!
Thanks for the quick response,their website is:-www.met-uk.co.uk,have a look if you would,nt mind and let me know.
p.s.yes, the PAT 2377 is 002 unit!
Regards,electricidiot

Thanks for the quick response,their website is:-www.met-uk.co.uk,have a look if you would,nt mind and let me know.
p.s.yes, the PAT 2377 is 002 unit!
Regards,electricidiot

Thought so,

look Unit 002 is inspection and testing of electrical equipment

Unit 001 is Management of....equipment

so with unit 2 you can plug stuff in and press a button

but before that you need someone with unit 1 to decide what the category of kit is, Class, periodicy of inspection, wether it needs FVI or CIT etc etc

Jeez, PAT testing is mundane enough as it is , without volunteering to be even lower on the pecking order!!!!!!

and if you see a job advert with "must have C&G 2377" on it

but your bottom dollar you wont get the job with just half the qual.......:p

ok had a quick look

there are a number of, erm..... errors in their claims

BPEC is not level 3 (or a recognised qualifiaction)

To do Landlords certificates you should have C&G 2391 to do Periodic Inspection Reports - they offering 2392 which is only for initial verification (ie you OWN work) and is a Level 2

you pays your money, your takes your choice.......

Cheers for the advice.I've had look at the site you've stated and looks o.k.
The only problem I see is that the course talks about a 2 year timetable,haven't got 2 years more like 10/12 weeks.I might pop down this week to have a look .
Hope you reply to this,
Regards,Electricidiot.

Cheers Shakey for your comments.I've had a look at a couple of sites and they do units 001/002 for the 2377,2391 as well.
Why offer a course that only provides half qualified units???
p.s Anymore comments regarding how I go forward from here most welcome.
Regards,Electricidiot.

I understand you want fast track into our world fella but really, I would fall over if I was joe public and I found out the sparky who was rewiring my gaff had got certificates after a 10 - 12 week period!:eek:
It takes years and tears to get to the stage where you should feel comfortable and COMPETENT to go out on your own. My advice if you want a quick living - become a bloody plasterer as at least you won't kill anyone!
Good luck!

hi electricidiot, (nice name btw, and welcome to the forum) I'd take in the information posted above, because its very useful and very true. As i went on a training course, theres no way of setting up straight away without site experience.

Hi LScotty, thanks once again for the comments,but at my age,gaining employment in the real world with anyone is pretty slim!!!!!
Regards,
Electricidiot.

Hi ATC,thanks for replying once again.As I've just stated to LScotty,at my old age gaining 6-12 months experience with anyone is near if impossible in the real world!!!!!
Regards,
Electricidiot.
P.S. keep the comments coming in as I need as much feedback as possible.

hi

the two year timetable, is UP TO two years - you can complete the bulk of your training in three weeks (which can be virtually consecutive if you wish - although we advise spacing your training oout so you can consolidate what you have learned)

the final week of training - the C&G 2391 - we will not book until you passes your C&G 2382 & 2392 in the third week.

And Cirrus, whilst i respect your views i dont neccesarily agree with them

we have taught many, many students who have gone on to gainful employment in the electrical industry

obviuosly no-one comes in 'green', do four weeks of training and start up as 'ABC Electrics' the following week - we recommend our 'new' students get 6-12 months of real world experience working with electrical contractors before they consider working by themselves

we have stringent training criteria, and unless you can successfully test PFC's, explain how you would obtain the R1+R2 value given the r1 value for a line conductor on a ring main etc etc then you wont pass

I'm not 'knocking' these fast track courses but personally feel that you cannot do one of these courses and then go out on your own successfully as electric idiot wants to. I am sure most go onto work for a company where they will gain valuable experience but there is no way in the world you could competently and confidently go it alone after such a short time and with relative inexperience.

mind you they are self help books "bluffing your way to...."and my favourite "dummies guide to...."
get fully qualified get some experience then the world is your mollusc ,age is no barrier

Hi Cirrus,thanks for the comments-the reason I was considering this change of direction is because i thought it would be easier for me to get some form of trade qualification and set up as a self-employed individual-as I did have some electrical/electronic qualifications and experience.When I was a lad I did get C+G 2/3 in Radio/television Service ,ONC Electrical eng and HNC in electronic Engineering, with about ten years' experience working for GEC/PLessey Telecomms as a test technician-all radio and digital stuff.Result of this is I've experience of using various pieces of equipment--sorry for the rant,guess its my frustration bubbling up!!
Regards,Electricidiot.

:)nice earner?????

do you get a free flag :)

Heres a bit i found on the web about finding a free course ,anyway with your electrical background why not just blag it,you can find all the cirtificates on the web .

FREE COLLEGE If you want to go to college free send away for the schedule of courses at the college of your choice. Pick your courses and walk into the designated classrooms. In some smaller classes this might be a problem but in large classes, of which there are hundreds in New York, there is no problem If you need books for the course, write to the publisher telling him you are a lecturer at some school and are considering using the book in your course.

oddjobbers ....bit of this bit of of that, quali here quali there ..... WHATS WRONG WITH STRUCTURED TRAINING ?rather than trying to break peoples bad habits with a weeks course on sparkying teach them properly ....i'm going for nuclear fusion made easy next

oddjobbers ....bit of this bit of of that, quali here quali there ..... WHATS WRONG WITH STRUCTURED TRAINING ?rather than trying to break peoples bad habits with a weeks course on sparkying teach them properly ....i'm going for nuclear fusion made easy next

Like i said before its a free for all ,they have invented all this red tape to keep us down,its all designed to try to stop us getting all the work ,

the youngsters need a job ,simple as.

what they have done is given them ours ,by diluting the trade ,that way they can get 4 guys to do what used to be one mans job ,and a load of lazy sods overseing them ,not to mention the teachers,health and safetty inspectors etc etc................

i say #### it all :cool:

at the end of the day you cant buy the right to call yourself a tradesman it has to be earned,

good luck everyone:)

HI engee,
Welcome,I'm afraid I'm no further forwards as it appears people will quickly take your money and still you will not be that much further forward as to a career change-all this get 6/12 months experience is a non-starter if you are an old timer looking to move on-still undecided which way to go-all gloom and doom on variou trade forums,tiling,plumbing,plastering etc!
Hope you get a better experience than I so far.

Theres not enough work to go around ,theres going to be casultys ,true tradesmen are very protective about there jobs ,by some missconseption everyone seems to think the electrical trade is easy ,well paid and plenty of work for everyone.

not wishing to deflate your illusion ,but........

I think we will see a return to the early eightys ,where if you were opperating off your patch you risked getting bashed. or worse ,
i know a plasterer who had to kill a guy ,because he had to, he had work stolen and he had 4 kids,the poacher was on his manor and wouldnt head the warning.....sh~t

be carefull and enjoy yourself.

Theres not enough work to go around ,theres going to be casultys ,true tradesmen are very protective about there jobs ,by some missconseption everyone seems to think the electrical trade is easy ,well paid and plenty of work for everyone.

not wishing to deflate your illusion ,but........

I think we will see a return to the early eightys ,where if you were opperating off your patch you risked getting bashed. or worse ,
i know a plasterer who had to kill a guy ,because he had to, he had work stolen and he had 4 kids,the poacher was on his manor and wouldnt head the warning.....sh~t

be carefull and enjoy yourself.

Rum

dont know what to say, but F*@K me you make me smile:D

Reply to The usual career change dilemma in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock