Discuss The weirdest problem you have ever heard: slight input voltage increase seems to affect my pc performance drastically in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It does sound like your supply is not the cleanest if you are having frequent voltage drops and have no ground. This opens you up more to the risk of EMI issues. It sounds like your UPS is single conversion rather than double conversion, in that it doesn't isolate the power supply. With mains connected, it is probably the case that power is going straight through rather than being corrected by the UPS.

It may be worth having a read through this forum, see if anything sounds familiar or can help.
[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag - Blur Busters Forums - https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=6498

Asking for help from an electrician will be difficult if you cannot evidence the issue. That is the only reason the suggestion was there to collect metrics. To give them something to go on whether you need a power conditioner or a sports psychologist. I appreciate the whole competitive gaming aspect of incremental gains, and it may be the case that you can stop a stop watch on 2.87 seconds, give or take a hundredth, 9 times out of 10. Or it maybe the case that you have in your head that there is a difference, and the aspect of expecting, or looking for the difference is affecting your reactions. And there is no disrespect to your skills or experience in saying that, sports psychology of stuff like that is relevant to the highest levels. If you are picking up a definite difference when running on just UPS, drop the model of the UPS in chat, and we can try and work out whether it is double conversion model, and rule that out if necessary. What country are you based in?
I understand where you are coming from and it's not like I'm playing for money or anything and I'm not that good but it's an annoying issue to have (inconsistent game play).

I used to play Fifa back in the day with the same guy (full manual so the controls were not assisted by the game so ball goes where you aim the stick etc etc) and when the system was fine (on very rare occasions) I was stomping him and he would quit raging after maybe 2-3 matches after he fouled all my players. When it was not, the matches were so close, I was always late to challenges. We always played same teams so basically the exact same setup. This is why I don't need blind tests etc, I already know something is way way off
These are the features of the UPS

Features​

• Line-interactive UPS Topology
  • Active PFC Compatible
  • Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
  • LED Status Indicator
  • Surge and Spike Protection
  • USB Charging Port

• Energy Saving Technology
  • Pure Sine Wave Output
  • LCD Status Display
  • PowerPanel® Management Software
  • Phone/Fax/Modem/DSL/Network Protection
  • Tower Form Factor
Input Frequency Detection Auto-sensing
On Battery Waveform Pure Sine Wave

Is this a online game if so prob more related to that

Admittedly I've only skimmed so far , for an
Unbiased opinion.
A) Is some form of interference at higher power levels occurring.
--Poor connection.
Change wall socket plugged into and power cable to PC also ,change socket on multi-way adaptor.
B) If you always use a UPS that may be restricting wattage available.
C)(Also watch temperatures and cooling . / room ventilation !)

As others have mentioned PSU's should cope with small variations , this aspect may be a red-herring.
(My sons issues were a poorly configured graphic card -Overheating
-as set too quiet )

I understand where you are coming from and it's not like I'm playing for money or anything and I'm not that good but it's an annoying issue to have (inconsistent game play).

I used to play Fifa back in the day with the same guy (full manual so the controls were not assisted by the game so ball goes where you aim the stick etc etc) and when the system was fine (on very rare occasions) I was stomping him and he would quit raging after maybe 2-3 matches after he fouled all my players. When it was not, the matches were so close, I was always late to challenges. We always played same teams so basically the exact same setup. This is why I don't need blind tests etc, I already know something is way way off
These are the features of the UPS

Features​

• Line-interactive UPS Topology
  • Active PFC Compatible
  • Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
  • LED Status Indicator
  • Surge and Spike Protection
  • USB Charging Port

• Energy Saving Technology
  • Pure Sine Wave Output
  • LCD Status Display
  • PowerPanel® Management Software
  • Phone/Fax/Modem/DSL/Network Protection
  • Tower Form Factor
Input Frequency Detection Auto-sensing
On Battery Waveform Pure Sine Wave
The line interactive type is another way of putting single conversion. If you do have significant levels of EMI on the line, it will likely pass through the UPS.

There is a good overview of how the types differ here Line Interactive vs. Double Conversion UPS - Which One’s Best? - QPS - https://www.qpsolutions.net/2019/11/line-interactive-vs-double-conversion-ups-which-ones-best/

But key features are here
The weirdest problem you have ever heard: slight input voltage increase seems to affect my pc performance drastically 1620738436395 - EletriciansForums.net
If the discussions over at [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag - Blur Busters Forums - https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=6498 are on the mark, then tidying up the line noise may have some benefits, but it would be additional investment with no guarantee of return.

A more cost efficient approach maybe to try a power conditioner, although I have no idea how well they would work in your situation. I use on AV installs to reduce hum on what is already a clean supply. Not sure on how well they would work here. Thomann Power Conditioners - https://www.thomann.de/gb/power_conditioners.html

The line interactive type is another way of putting single conversion. If you do have significant levels of EMI on the line, it will likely pass through the UPS.

There is a good overview of how the types differ here Line Interactive vs. Double Conversion UPS - Which One’s Best? - QPS - https://www.qpsolutions.net/2019/11/line-interactive-vs-double-conversion-ups-which-ones-best/

But key features are here
View attachment 85643
If the discussions over at [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag - Blur Busters Forums - https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=6498 are on the mark, then tidying up the line noise may have some benefits, but it would be additional investment with no guarantee of return.

A more cost efficient approach maybe to try a power conditioner, although I have no idea how well they would work in your situation. I use on AV installs to reduce hum on what is already a clean supply. Not sure on how well they would work here. Thomann Power Conditioners - https://www.thomann.de/gb/power_conditioners.html

Scratch that, posts there seem to imply double conversion is the only confirmed way to isolate:
-----
Also, normal power conditioners won't fix the problem, they will help it temporarily, but they won't fix it.

You could actually try and buy yourself a special type of power conditioner, I forgot the exact name for them, but they're the ones that have an internal battery and if you plug anything into it, it uses the battery's power instead of the power from the outlet, at the same time they charge the battery from the socket. I'm not entirely sure if this will fix the issue as, keep in mind, while the battery is charging, it could affect the appliances plugged in, even though they are taking from the battery itself.
-----

When you experience this subtle change, are you relying on a Blue tooth connected controller?
(try direct wired -if its an easy configure)
Also test out the performance of the analogue sticks.
..Miss behaving under certain-human stress conditions.
Humans can tense up ,and change dynamics of situation.
( Had a clutch pedal fault
- that only occurred when I was rushed / flustered...not a state I aim to drive in )
Intermittents can be so nit-picky.

I would try taking the PC to a friends house a distance away, a friend who has a PC that's known to run fine to eliminate a few things... like if its a PC hardware issue or something in your property causing interference.

Is your modem/router on the same UPS?

As already mentioned, use 'ping' or similar to actually measure packet times.

If you are up to it, utilities like iperf3 allow quite detailed (if sometimes unintelligible) reports on network performance. There are a couple of public servers if you can't set up another iperf3 server on another network point to run the tests.

When you experience this subtle change, are you relying on a Blue tooth connected controller?
(try direct wired -if its an easy configure)
Also test out the performance of the analogue sticks.
..Miss behaving under certain-human stress conditions.
Humans can tense up ,and change dynamics of situation.
( Had a clutch pedal fault
- that only occurred when I was rushed / flustered...not a state I aim to drive in )
Intermittents can be so nit-picky.

I would try taking the PC to a friends house a distance away, a friend who has a PC that's known to run fine to eliminate a few things... like if its a PC hardware issue or something in your property causing interference.

Is your modem/router on the same UPS?

As already mentioned, use 'ping' or similar to actually measure packet times.

If you are up to it, utilities like iperf3 allow quite detailed (if sometimes unintelligible) reports on network performance. There are a couple of public servers if you can't set up another iperf3 server on another network point to run the tests.
Thanks to all for all suggestions, the connection is fine, the controller is wired, the deadzones are setup perfectly and eliminate any stick drift that could cause random unwanted inputs, stress is not an issue because i am testing this in an offline setting and not under pressure in 'competitive' matches and it's not about playing badly against opponents, its about game being different with certain mechanics simply failing (which can be easily be explained by frame dropping or monitor delay or random controller input delay etc )

Moving the whole setup is quite a task (and doesnt prove too much because it could be fine one hour in a certain day and worse after 2-3 days who knows) and this is why I was hoping there are in theory solutions an electrician could try, like bringing in power with a newer cable from the appartments complex power box or testing the power there for something wrong etc

I acknowledge my initial guess was simply wrong, the input voltage was a simple coincidence. I keep questioning the electricity also because it happened a few times when the pc was powered off for 2-3 hours while i was cleaning for dust or re-arranging the cables behind the desk that game felt smooth that day or for hours that day only to return to the sluggish feeling later and the consecutive days. Also this is a general problem in more games with the image looking somewhat weird and game feeling so different over different days, I simply did not mentioned because its easier to explain for a single simple game with simple inputs and no major graphical requirements or a large number of players in a single match

I mean I would love the problem to be with the monitor struggling to consistently put up the frames because the electricity is not stable or something and it fails only by a little but with terrible consequences when the image is built from hundreds and hundreds of frames second after seconds, it would be the simplest explanation but again, I am not sure if this is a real option this is why I am on an electrical forum bugging people off with silly questions :)

My voodo suggestion , since PC may draw quite large surges of power and be prone to "Electrical Arc" interference.
Hunt down an old MW AM radio , and tune it between stations
(easier during day than evening -or tune it into a weak station
that fades in and out -- An old fashioned cheap radio -not a posh tuner amp with Squelch )
And listen for buzzing when you activate heavier loads like kettle /electric shower ... also have it as a companion for your gaming.
See if there is any correlation between Loud spatter ,or bursts of buzzing when your problem strikes.
( Tech if you are a bit rural - may be a supply on poles !)

Reply to The weirdest problem you have ever heard: slight input voltage increase seems to affect my pc performance drastically in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock