Discuss The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

whats this then. I’ve had a harder life than you contest? I’ve had it bad working overseas? I’ve asked a simple enough question. If you ain’t going to offer genuine advice then do one. I survived cancer 2 years ago. How’s that for a tough time
"Some Old Boy" seems I hit a raw nerve Mate

"Some Old Boy" seems I hit a raw nerve Mate
You hit a nerve by trying to make out like I haven’t worked hard and haven’t payed my dues. Like I said. After what’s happened to me I ain’t spending my time being miserable. So yeah telling me to grow a pair hit a nerve mate. Go through months of chemo and then get back to working full time afterwards. Then let’s see how big your balls are.

In answer to your question @John Matrix yes it does sound like your employer could make you work away.,..,only you can decide if you want to do that.....me personally having grown up with my father always away working would never put my children through it, life is to short to be missing the people you care about,whatever the outcome I hope it all works out for ya mate

You hit a nerve by trying to make out like I haven’t worked hard and haven’t payed my dues.
Never meant to imply that Mate, if I did appologies
You hit a nerve by trying to make out like I haven’t worked hard and haven’t payed my dues.
It's just you seemed very vocal on the subject John with very little subject matter. if my post irked your mojo, like I said earlier appologies.

Hi John
From someone who has worked away from home a lot including overseas which was part of the equation.
I would humbly suggest, that if you have a contract of employment that requires you to work away from home, which no longer suits your personal conditions, but is the only work your company can provide for you, then to be blunt you need to weight the pros and cons equally, it maybe that they could lay you off due to lack of work opportunities, depends on what your contract pf employment says.
I had a young family and went away for a year no leave hard but it paid the bills, it could be that you need to speak to your other half and discuss the pros and cons of working away, I guess it's down to you and your family to weigh up what the important issues are mine and my families at the time was money, to provide safe housing, it made us stronger although I am having some problems with my pension at the moment, talk it over with Her in Doors see what She wants out of life, I she need to speak to someone who has been there done that and got the T shirt many times over, phone number on request, good luck
John listen to what @Pete999 has to say this man has been there and done that. He’s worked in countries that we wouldn’t even want to go to. Good luck
Hi John
From someone who has worked away from home a lot including overseas which was part of the equation.
I would humbly suggest, that if you have a contract of employment that requires you to work away from home, which no longer suits your personal conditions, but is the only work your company can provide for you, then to be blunt you need to weight the pros and cons equally, it maybe that they could lay you off due to lack of work opportunities, depends on what your contract pf employment says.
I had a young family and went away for a year no leave hard but it paid the bills, it could be that you need to speak to your other half and discuss the pros and cons of working away, I guess it's down to you and your family to weigh up what the important issues are mine and my families at the time was money, to provide safe housing, it made us stronger although I am having some problems with my pension at the moment, talk it over with Her in Doors see what She wants out of life, I she need to speak to someone who has been there done that and got the T shirt many times over, phone number on request, good luck
whats this then. I’ve had a harder life than you contest? I’ve had it bad working overseas? I’ve asked a simple enough question. If you ain’t going to offer genuine advice then do one. I survived cancer 2 years ago. How’s that for a tough time
John you ain’t the only one that has health problems on this forum. I think that this conversation needs to be ended. What’s said is what’s said so walk away

John listen to what @Pete999 has to say this man has been there and done that. He’s worked in countries that we wouldn’t even want to go to. Good luck

John you ain’t the only one that has health problems on this forum. I think that this conversation needs to be ended. What’s said is what’s said so walk away
I can’t see how Pete having worked in rough countries has any bearing on wether this mans employer can make him work away?
This man has clearly come on hear for some advice and doesn’t deserve to be shouted down and insulted because he doesn’t measure up to some one else’s views on what constitutes as working away....

In my opinion it sounds like you really don't want to work away, (understandable) and if that's the case then don't.

You might end up going to work everyday with resentment and anger at your situation which doesn't benefit anyone.

Start saving money away now and get your CV in order just in case.

I can’t see how Pete having worked in rough countries has any bearing on wether this mans employer can make him work away?
This man has clearly come on hear for some advice and doesn’t deserve to be shouted down and insulted because he doesn’t measure up to some one else’s views on what constitutes as working away....
I think the crux of this issue is not whether I (Pete999) worked I "rough countries or whatever" the crux is I knew what I had signed up for, hence no recriminations on my employers, I knew to some degree "what I was letting myself in for, so did my wife" that's all nothing else end of. If explaining what and where I had been constitutes " shouting down " then I'm guilty, I believe that this is not the case, and disagree with your inference Badegg.

So, if they've no work locally at present, do you expect them to pay you a wage if you won't work away?
You've got to go with the flow. Seems to me they're being fair for indicating home work in the near future, when available.
If you don't want the work, don't go. You could always ask them to keep you in hand for the future. Explain your situation to 'em.

It’s only work my friend. Not the important stuff.
Do what makes you happy.
It's what makes you solvent, after all that's what you go to work for isn't it?
[automerge]1574893288[/automerge]
It's what makes you solvent, after all that's what you go to work for isn't it?
So what do you go to work for then, Gary?

Sometimes the heart has to rule the head , and I think in your case you already know that.
I agree with the comments that this is a situation that has to be discussed between you and your boss , giving you all this option says something about him in my opinion.
There must be some local work , it seems strange if it has all dried up, he will surely need some local staff.
In any event , my best wishes go to you and your family .

That’s what work is for, yes.
If you think that work is a main priority in life, you’re probably not doing it right.
I'm not working any more Gerry done my bit now down to you young cubs, I worked all my life to provide for my Family, Kids and extended family, " not doing it right" how dare you.

To answer the op: You have been asked how you feel about working away. My advice is to be clear with your employer how you feel about it and give them the reasons (if you feel its appropriate). Working away does suit some people, more than others, sometimes people do enjoy the variety and freedom of working away, some hate it as its lost time with young children and anxious partners.
Make your feelings clear to the employer and hopefully everyone can be accommodated without layoffs.

I think the crux of this issue is not whether I (Pete999) worked I "rough countries or whatever" the crux is I knew what I had signed up for, hence no recriminations on my employers, I knew to some degree "what I was letting myself in for, so did my wife" that's all nothing else end of. If explaining what and where I had been constitutes " shouting down " then I'm guilty, I believe that this is not the case, and disagree with your inference Badegg.
I was referring to the grow a pair comment Pete

I'm not working any more Gerry done my bit now down to you young cubs, I worked all my life to provide for my Family, Kids and extended family, " not doing it right" how dare you.
Well done you. I’m a retired cub too.
I see so many that work is a main priority, it’s a mere lubricant in the grindstone of life. If you’re spoiling for a row..... you’re too late, it’s past my bedtime. ?

Reply to The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock