Discuss The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Take it easy 'gary' ;)...….don't get the wrong angle on Pete.
Well done you. I’m a retired cub too.
I see so many that work is a main priority, it’s a mere lubricant in the grindstone of life. If you’re spoiling for a row..... you’re too late, it’s past my bedtime. ?
OK Good night :tongue: :imp::praying:?

Sometimes the heart has to rule the head , and I think in your case you already know that.
I agree with the comments that this is a situation that has to be discussed between you and your boss , giving you all this option says something about him in my opinion.
There must be some local work , it seems strange if it has all dried up, he will surely need some local staff.
In any event , my best wishes go to you and your family .
Hi rus, not seen you around for a while. All OK, mate?

Sometimes the heart has to rule the head , and I think in your case you already know that.
I agree with the comments that this is a situation that has to be discussed between you and your boss , giving you all this option says something about him in my opinion.
There must be some local work , it seems strange if it has all dried up, he will surely need some local staff.
In any event , my best wishes go to you and your family .
Yes, there could be local work to keep a few men going, but if you are in the business of running big squads, then the firm might possibly, won't bother with this and just go after a few big jobs to keep them tied over whilst they're between contracts. The OP might have to stay at home and work for himself and live off homers for the next few months until the firm returns.

PS, good to "see" you again Ruston

Yes, there could be local work to keep a few men going, but if you are in the business of running big squads, then the firm might possibly, won't bother with this and just go after a few big jobs to keep them tied over whilst they're between contracts. The OP might have to stay at home and work for himself and live off homers for the next few months until the firm returns.

PS, good to "see" you again Ruston
You too rap, I am still around and follow your posts, so be a good lad. :)
[automerge]1574895996[/automerge]
Hi rus, not seen you around for a while. All OK, mate?
Yes thanks , had a few knock backs, but nothing too serious this time.
I am doing ok now though, starting physiotherapy tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
You too rap, I am still around and follow your posts, so be a good lad. :)
[automerge]1574895996[/automerge]

Yes thanks , had a few knock backs, but nothing too serious this time.
I am doing ok now though, starting physiotherapy tomorrow morning.
I'll PM you, pal.

Her indoors works in HR. So I’ve asked her opinions on such matters (not giving away personal information of course).

If I recall, contracts of employment can be in written form or verbal. The contracts can be changed by the employer, if circumstances change.

IMO for the OP, if your not happy with the prospects with your current employment, I would start looking for different employment, that more suits your circumstances.

I would recommend you contact Acas, and get some free and professional advice, about your current situation;
(that’s her indoors advice)

So, if they've no work locally at present, do you expect them to pay you a wage if you won't work away?
You've got to go with the flow. Seems to me they're being fair for indicating home work in the near future, when available.
If you don't want the work, don't go. You could always ask them to keep you in hand for the future. Explain your situation to 'em.
They do have local work. But have a few jobs out of town and are probing to see who will go

They do have local work. But have a few jobs out of town and are probing to see who will go
I’d advise sitting down with your employer John and explaining your situation you may find someone else is more than happy to work away and you could balance things out between you

I’m sorry about my behaviour yesterday. I don’t really know what to do about it. A do not feel good about going and neither does my partner. I also feel there are others who could go even thow it’s probably not fair of me to say that

I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, I used to work 4 weeks away and 1 off. Not going to lie it’s hard on the family especially if they are not used to it.

Right now I’m writing this before my flight takes off to go bk home... 2 weeks off!!!
[automerge]1574929516[/automerge]
Ok, So after reading through the posts... how long is your employer proposing you work away for? Until April next year?

If it’s for a short duration would you consider just getting it done? Saves trying to find another Job ETC...

Last edited:
I’m sorry about my behaviour yesterday. I don’t really know what to do about it. A do not feel good about going and neither does my partner. I also feel there are others who could go even thow it’s probably not fair of me to say that
Its not fair, especially if you are both on the same money. Having one guy who gets to stay at home and someone else staying away will breed resentment

I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, I used to work 4 weeks away and 1 off. Not going to lie it’s hard on the family especially if they are not used to it.

Right now I’m writing this before my flight takes off to go bk home... 2 weeks off!!!
[automerge]1574929516[/automerge]
Ok, So after reading through the posts... how long is your employer proposing you work away for? Until April next year?

If it’s for a short duration would you consider just getting it done? Saves trying to find another Job ETC...
Not really.
Its not fair, especially if you are both on the same money. Having one guy who gets to stay at home and someone else staying away will breed resentment
i do agree but years ago when I was younger, I had to go away week after week whilst all the older boys got to stay home. It’s the way it is and in my opinion should be. We all do our bit in our younger years and then as time goes on we earn the right to say no and leave it to the younger lads
[automerge]1574973762[/automerge]
Not really.

i do agree but years ago when I was younger, I had to go away week after week whilst all the older boys got to stay home. It’s the way it is and in my opinion should be. We all do our bit in our younger years and then as time goes on we earn the right to say no and leave it to the younger lads. Obviously some people keep doing it and that’s fine. As long as you want to do it.

Ok well the only option I can see is you getting your resume ready... and have a chat with your manager/Supervisor about your personal situation. If they don’t accommodate then at least you know where you stand.

I don't think I could do it again either.
It's always a balance between spending time with the kids and providing for them.

If you get the balance right quit work and write a book about it. :)

Am I the only one on here who actually prefers working away? The wife has just had a hip replacement op so I've just had two weeks at home looking after the kids (14 & 20). I'm gagging to get away again. Looking forward to going out for a meal with the lads and then back to the room to a TV all of my own. Bloody great :D

Am I the only one on here who actually prefers working away? The wife has just had a hip replacement op so I've just had two weeks at home looking after the kids (14 & 20). I'm gagging to get away again. Looking forward to going out for a meal with the lads and then back to the room to a TV all of my own. Bloody great :D

I personally like doing a Roster... I only work 6 months of the year.

I’m not in the same situation now, but last time I worked away away was 2005, 6 weeks at Heathrow airport.
We planned a family holiday at legoland, then I sent my pregnant wife and 5 year old girl home on a train to Dundee and I kept the car with me.
I wasn’t too popular with the wife for a few weeks after that.

I feel for the OP. Everyone’s telling him to find a new job, but it’s not that easy. A worry at any time of year.
If your workmates know your health situation, they won’t be bothered if you stay nearer home and they have to do the distance jobs

I think this topic is very much subjective,and each individual situation,and work requirement,will be different.

I can perfectly understand lads,in situations,where certain choices will be limited,or even not really a choice at all.

I have done the skitting round the world,and hours job,and made my priorities plain,when my lads arrived :)

I will not have many situations,workwise,where i could not or would not,drop,the minute my kids were either in need of me,or at a sportsday,parent's evening or similar.

I realise i have been fortunate enough,to allow this as a choice,but have also,accepted the fact that a certain income stream is closed off.

If it matters,my eldest lad is 17,and i can categorically tell you,i made the right decision :):)

I don't think I could do it again either.
It's always a balance between spending time with the kids and providing for them.

If you get the balance right quit work and write a book about it. :)
That's what I did, write a book about it

Reply to The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock