Discuss The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Up until 2 years ago all my work was within an hours drive but since then we've had to go wherever the work is. I had 3 lads down in felixstowe from January to April only coming back at weekends. Did they want to do it , probably not but they knew that if they wanted wages then it had to be done.
No boss wants it either, the logistics of it all can be a pain, booking accommodation, organising food allowances etc then if there was any issues i had a 8 hour round trip to sort it out or them out.
You do what you have to do to put food on the table simple as that.

To me it’s no big deal. I generally only get home for 1 weekend in 4 if I’m in Europe.

I worked away a lot, the main thing was when working away I worked long hours, but also had long breaks so in many ways saw more of wife and children. 12 hours days were the norm when working away, often with over time as well, depending on distance often it was 6 or 7 day working while away, first one I did was 8 weeks away and 2 weeks home, that was Algeria, so not that far, Next was Falklands that was 6 months on, and month off, then moved closer to home, Suffolk, I live in North Wales, but time wise took as long to get home from Suffolk as Algeria.

However in Suffolk there was a mixture of away and local workers, so there was loads of over time, as local workers did not want it, so away workers did it all. We also had the long weekend, so once a month we would end early on the Friday around 10 am and would not restart work until the Tuesday, however there was a lot of money lost if you did not get back to work by 7:30 am Tuesday, as we lost travel and lodging allowance.

They also had some odd rules introduced, for example no holidays permitted New year to Easter, don't think that was intended, but it happened.

It was a different life, unlike working abroad I could live in a caravan and have my wife and children visit me, OK latter on working in Hong Kong also had wife and youngest visit me, but first two away jobs, that was out of the question.

I worked away a lot, Belfast, Edinburgh, but working for one firm it was very different, we were installing alarms in BT buildings Wales and West, it was to finish before 2000 as whole point was to replace alarms that would fail once 2000 had been reached, the job started in North Wales, so I was local, but slowly moved South, so first travelling increased, then had to lodge, with each job being between 2 days and 2 weeks we could not have a regular lodging, we had to hunt to find lodging and allowed £25 a day, once lodging no travel, it was not ideal, the hours were short no overtime, all weekends off, only plus was we travelled to work in their time.

In the end we got a bonus scheme and money went up, we could work late and so earn bonus, but whole team had to do that, as group bonus, working with my son, it worked for me, but other teams got no bonus and worked a flat week.

The working time directive messed up away work in the UK. I think in theory the time is spread over 12 weeks? So you could work long hours and 7 days a week, if you then got a weeks break, some firms would pay holidays not taken, really against the law, but they did it anyway, but agencies would follow the working time directive to the letter, so when we needed cash on a job, and my boss said book 2 extra hours, the agency refused to pay, as I would have broken the working time directive, firms can get away with some by saying it was a continuous process, can't leave a panel until made safe etc.

Being in work on stand-by with concrete pours earned me a lot of money drinking tea, but those jobs are few and far between.

So away working was good, but today the working time directive has messed it up a bit, it depends how flexible the boss is, even volunteering on local railway we have hours restrictions, the drivers and firemen must be replaced half way through the day and trains only run from 10 am to 6:10 pm. OK they have to light the fire and clean out before and after, but fireman does that, yes here the fireman lights fires he does not put them out.

It would seem smaller firms get away with breaking the working time directive and can offer good terms, I have had this job is paid until Wednesday next week, once finished your time is yours, you can go home, but not with large firms.

I worked away a lot, the main thing was when working away I worked long hours, but also had long breaks so in many ways saw more of wife and children. 12 hours days were the norm when working away, often with over time as well, depending on distance often it was 6 or 7 day working while away, first one I did was 8 weeks away and 2 weeks home, that was Algeria, so not that far, Next was Falklands that was 6 months on, and month off, then moved closer to home, Suffolk, I live in North Wales, but time wise took as long to get home from Suffolk as Algeria.

However in Suffolk there was a mixture of away and local workers, so there was loads of over time, as local workers did not want it, so away workers did it all. We also had the long weekend, so once a month we would end early on the Friday around 10 am and would not restart work until the Tuesday, however there was a lot of money lost if you did not get back to work by 7:30 am Tuesday, as we lost travel and lodging allowance.

They also had some odd rules introduced, for example no holidays permitted New year to Easter, don't think that was intended, but it happened.

It was a different life, unlike working abroad I could live in a caravan and have my wife and children visit me, OK latter on working in Hong Kong also had wife and youngest visit me, but first two away jobs, that was out of the question.

I worked away a lot, Belfast, Edinburgh, but working for one firm it was very different, we were installing alarms in BT buildings Wales and West, it was to finish before 2000 as whole point was to replace alarms that would fail once 2000 had been reached, the job started in North Wales, so I was local, but slowly moved South, so first travelling increased, then had to lodge, with each job being between 2 days and 2 weeks we could not have a regular lodging, we had to hunt to find lodging and allowed £25 a day, once lodging no travel, it was not ideal, the hours were short no overtime, all weekends off, only plus was we travelled to work in their time.

In the end we got a bonus scheme and money went up, we could work late and so earn bonus, but whole team had to do that, as group bonus, working with my son, it worked for me, but other teams got no bonus and worked a flat week.

The working time directive messed up away work in the UK. I think in theory the time is spread over 12 weeks? So you could work long hours and 7 days a week, if you then got a weeks break, some firms would pay holidays not taken, really against the law, but they did it anyway, but agencies would follow the working time directive to the letter, so when we needed cash on a job, and my boss said book 2 extra hours, the agency refused to pay, as I would have broken the working time directive, firms can get away with some by saying it was a continuous process, can't leave a panel until made safe etc.

Being in work on stand-by with concrete pours earned me a lot of money drinking tea, but those jobs are few and far between.

So away working was good, but today the working time directive has messed it up a bit, it depends how flexible the boss is, even volunteering on local railway we have hours restrictions, the drivers and firemen must be replaced half way through the day and trains only run from 10 am to 6:10 pm. OK they have to light the fire and clean out before and after, but fireman does that, yes here the fireman lights fires he does not put them out.

It would seem smaller firms get away with breaking the working time directive and can offer good terms, I have had this job is paid until Wednesday next week, once finished your time is yours, you can go home, but not with large firms.
I worked away on many occasions longest was 1 year, worst year of my life but had all the monetary perks, which didn't compensate for loss of family contact, my own fault I was in need of lots of readies for my house purchase, didn't make it any more palatable though, still think about it now after nearly 40 years. it haunts me from time to time. reckon I have PTSD. Did loads of shorter trips away, none very pleasant, but we survived as a Family, just.

It's a difficult one this is because people are required to work away from home which is something you can't change. It's okay when you have no family. However, in your circumstance, you must talk to your company and tell them about about your situation. They should understand.

It's a difficult one this is because people are required to work away from home which is something you can't change. It's okay when you have no family. However, in your circumstance, you must talk to your company and tell them about about your situation. They should understand.
In todays' climate Mate I doubt very much that will happen, they are in business and peoples' individual requirements regarding families' etc won't cut much ice, nice thoughts though, and you would hope that companies would understand, some of the bigger ones may, sadly not all do.

In todays' climate Mate I doubt very much that will happen, they are in business and peoples' individual requirements regarding families' etc won't cut much ice, nice thoughts though, and you would hope that companies would understand, some of the bigger ones may, sadly not all do.
Source URL: The Working Away question - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/the-working-away-question.180886/page-2#post-1595507
Thats the problem, it depends on the size of the company. A billionaire business owner won't care about his situation, they only want money. He may need a new job in his local area, that his best bet.

Reply to The Working Away question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock