Discuss The worse money you have worked for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

panicoll

What is the worse rate you have worked for ph?

Mines is £12ph starting monday, Testing and inspecting and providing my own transport working for the council through a agency.

Gutt'd

Thats not good mate, But I have recently been working on price, 2 and a half hours a day travel, 9 hours on site and just making £100 a day! Prices were so so tight!!! And now I am fighting for my crap money!!

well ive just finished my apprentiship instead of my money going up its gone trades gown down hill but nevermind lads keep working hard people on welfare depend on us :mad:

The crap money is £100 a day, and now I am having to fight for it, as contractor is saying work is sub standard, when we have been on site for 10 weeks with no problems, and surprise surprise, its payment time!

Well they know If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

So next week there will be no G-wobing! for me

dont think the council will be expecting much anyway.

The fact is, that the installs I done were 100%, couple of untidy cables clipped to a ceiling slab of a 3mtr run, hardly enough to hold 10 weeks money for

1st year apprentice. £4.24 an hour. I think its gone up though since the JIB rates went up.

Doesnt bother me. No mortgage or bills to pay. Just the beer at weekends!

1st year apprentice. £4.24 an hour. I think its gone up though since the JIB rates went up.

Doesnt bother me. No mortgage or bills to pay. Just the beer at weekends!

I take my hat off to you mate. Not many people got the get up and go to work for that sort of money. Most people would just scrounge off the state. I guess you are young and still at home with parents etc.Make the best of it while you can.:cool:

Would that be the worst rate in the electrical trade, or overall?
I worked for £7.50 ph (before tax) as a mate until a couple of years ago.

Before that, when I was 19 (late 90s) I worked as a bar manager taking home just over £200 a week for 70 hours; that's around £3.45 per hour before tax, while the bar staff were on £4.50 p/h. I made up the money by DJing at weekends, but then they wanted me to play for FREE so I left.

beat this!!!

£20k a year on top
or
£1667 month
or
£416 a week
or
£83 a day working 12 hours+

Thats £6.91 per hour before TAX!!!!!!!!!!!! (£5.38 after)

it was salary based and NO OVERTIME / NO CALL OUT FEE !!!! like it or lump it...!! i lasted 3 days and told him were to stick it!! go old MR YEEE HAAAA!!!

that nearly as low as an apprentice or even less in some case...!!!

Worked as a toilet attendant once.........Pony a day...in the hand!!!! Crap Job!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My sl1210s were stolen and the station went bust.

... So £700 or so out of pocket then.

I felt DJing was going downhill a few years ago, which was why I gave it up - I started in 1996 during the Britpop era when guitars were all the rage and everyone wanted to be in a band. Back then DJs were paid around £100 a night for a 4 hour set, but then everyone wanted to be a DJ - 'bedroom DJs' were desperate to get on the scene and offered to play for free, which sucked all the money out of it; apart from the price, bar and club owners couldn't seem to distinguish between a professional DJ charging £20 per hour and an amateur willing to call himself a DJ, but for free.

Then came the smoking ban (so you couldn't smoke while DJing) and 24 hour drinking, so DJs were expected to play for 8-10 hours (continuously) on the same money and be grateful for it.

I can see the electrical trade going the same way - there are plenty of 6 week wannabes willing to work as mates for free for the experience; after they have driven down the average price and realised there's no money in the trade they'll just go back to IT.

Need a proper governing body,Novus,one that wont get corrupted,.......There goes that idea!!!:mad:

My first ever school summer holiday job was at a Nursery planting crops by hand on the back of a trailer dragged along a field by a tractor, back breaking stuff by the end of the day!! This was probably summer 1994, I got paid £1.57 per hour.

My first two years as an apprentice I took home £75 a week cash in hand! All the lads at college were on way much more, well so they claimed. I'm glad I stuck with it though wouldn't change working for myself for anything.

seems to me employers are taking advantageof the recession to pay poor money to arguably the most qualified men because of the exams we have to take.i admit mine is paying me fair but have had trouble getting them to pay to send me on 2382,2392,2391.i spoke to the hse and had i given the company name they would have been out like a shot and companywould be in trouble as you cant maintain safe systems if you cant test etc.food for thought guys

Reply to The worse money you have worked for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock