Discuss The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Earthstore

Well I have seen it all now, picture the scene, old buildings with various roofs, which all join up, flat roofs on different levels,and some pitched roofs also.
In the middle of all this is a pitched roof that is covered with green mineral felt, there is an air duct (300x300mm) that runs along the roof, underneath the air duct some 6x1 timber has been rested against the ducts support brackets, resting against this board are a row of about 8 panels which are mounted on a frame, but just resting on the pitched roof, so in the shade and not secured at all, then in landscape, are about 5 panels (no mounting frame) sitting on the pitched roof, resting against the top of the lower panels.
There are DC wires everywhere, and I mean everywhere, but once you enter the building the wiring, inverter, isolation switches etc are all quite tidy.
I hope the wind does not blow..
I will try and get some pictures for you all to have a laugh at, or just listen for the bang as your chin hits the desk...

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 001 - EletriciansForums.netThe worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 003 - EletriciansForums.netThe worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 008 - EletriciansForums.netThe worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 007 - EletriciansForums.net
Please see both posts for pics
Also note, portrait panels are mounted on a frame which is just resting on the roof, which has this piece of wood to stop them sliding down,
landscape panels are just resting on the roof, no frame at all.
Pic 1 shows location of panels (not much shading from other roof!!!)
Pic 2 shows panels under ducting (remember the wood on here)
pic 3 & 4 shows some of the DC cables, but the are everywhere.

The worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 002 - EletriciansForums.netThe worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 006 - EletriciansForums.netThe worst install ever (maybe?) theatre 005 - EletriciansForums.netp
Pic 1 shows the technology used to support the framework
pic 2 shows the position of the array
pic 3 shows a little more of the supporting system.

Seeing is really believing, and needless to say this system has hardly produced a thing...
Your thoughts?

Earthstore how did you get to know about the install alarm man installed not unless you are a superhero by night with night vision..
and yes it is a JOKE...

This has cropped up before, do you tell someone that their install is, let's say not very good.
Well I have told them, and I am making some waves, however this is all rather sensitive, and I could not care if I sink an Installers boat at all, however, I do not want to sink my own with it, if you see what I mean.
I heard of this install, so I just asked if I could have a look, just being curious.
There are lot's of people involved here, as it is not a domestic install, and I live in a small town, however, if I play things right it will be beneficial to me, if I get things wrong, then I may as well just hang up my PV coat and find another source of income.
I am trying to find out which company did the install, then I can throw the do do at them.
Of course I will keep you all informed.

I did not make any comments on the scraping over the the thread the other day about solar police , but do think there is no need to be overzealous , and i am sure that no installer including our selfs have got it 100% right on every one of their installs even if they think they have !
But this is a clear reason to get involved , that is just plain disgusting and the installer ( more like plain and simple chancer come crook ) should be looking at some form of legal redress !
One would hope HSE alone would have some jurisdiction over this , as a good gale could literally kill someone with that one !
There is absolutely no reason to leave a installation like that be it against a deadline or not !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ive got a feeling when that home owner wakes up in the morning and looks out of his window he's goona see this...
:wink5: then again...
The worst install ever (maybe?) 400_F_28865636_eqyK2k9HTORNxXGGTv7u4kfCNlSjZ0a3 - EletriciansForums.net

I'm not sure how far in you are with this problem. This install is a gale away from ending up in someone's skull.

I'd send the photos to MCS and let them deal with it.

I 've seen loads of crap installs. Not bad workmanship but just very poor design with no allowance for shading. I've even got one across the road from my house so I see it every day. I told the owner not to fit a system due to the shading and yet another company were happy to fit a system. System is shaded until 12.00 and then again after 13.30. Worried that consumers who have had a bad system will start telling others that PV systems don't work. Equally the system is on the front of the property in a conservation area and I'm pretty sure they didn't apply for planning.
Do we let these muppets carry on installing systems or is there a procedure for reporting them? I just think that the industry will get a very bad name and we will all suffer.
Any ideas?

Im not solar panel fitter, never even looked into doing the course but...... WTF was the installer thinking, it probabaly would of looked like a better job if it was dropped from a helicopter, any chance you got the name of the company that did the install to name and shame?

Well, the plot thickens, whilst walking on eggshells, I spoke to one of the people involved today, and I found out who installed it, and I was shocked.
This company post on this forum and are very well respected by all of us, they are one of the top people on here,(no its not TED) and especially with their background they know they should not have left it like this, even if it is a temporary measure.
If they are reading this, may I strongly suggest that you remedy this install as a priority.
Under the circumstances, I will not name and shame, even though I am tempted.

Reply to The worst install ever (maybe?) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock