Discuss There at it again. Ching Ching. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

Had a letter from the NICEIC. Proudly anouncing all the nice courses that have, or at least they would recommend, any self respecting sparkie should undertake.
Worked hard and payed the cash for your 2391 in inspection and testing ?? Well think again now you need the level 3 award in requirements for electrical intallations. (thats the new title)
So there it is, plenty of new titles being thought up by these money grabbing ####.
Ok I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but at 59 years I have seen this nonsense to many times.
We are being conned and ripped off boys. Make no mistake.
From 17 years old I loved this trade I qualified out many years ago, more than I can remember, and yes I probably have forgotten more than I remember.
I have a JIB site managers card, I have a JIB approved electrician card. I passed numerous exams and courses in my lifetime. Yes I'm still learning always will be.
But with all the years industrial domestic and commercial that I have under my belt, and from the thanks and responses received and works and projects I have managed. I consider myself a qualified electrician. I'm not going to back track from that, and niether should any other time served sparks.
You have earned your position in the trade.
Extra bits of paper required to put money in some money grabbers pocket is NOT going to change who or what I am.
End of rant.

Is that not the current edition of the 17th ed course....(2382-12)???

You tell me Lenny,

This is what they say QUOTE:

Currently there is no need for anyone to update an old qualification. For instance, someone holding a City & Guilds 2391 wouldn’t need to update to the new Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. However, there are advantages to completing the new awards, which have been designed to meet the latest requirements of BS 7671 and the new EICRs.
All the new course titles are featured in our new 2012/13 training prospectus which can be viewed online here. END QUOTE

Don't you just love the way they start with the words (CURRENTLY there is no need) Yea right we all know were this will end up. Like I said, ching ching!!

Seriously though this should answer your question lenny
The 2392 has been replaced with the level 3 Award in the initial verification and certification of electrical installations.The 2391 has been replaced with the level 3 award in periodic inspection and testing and certification of electrical installations.

Oh well, excuse me why I carry on with trying to earn a living.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, there are advantages to completing the new awards,

And these advantages are the profits they make from the gullible who fall for the "new" qualification which has the same content wrapped up in a different title. It is the nature of the beast we've created....

And these advantages are the profits they make from the gullible who fall for the "new" qualification which has the same content wrapped up in a different title. It is the nature of the beast we've created....

No mate, its the nature of the beast THEY created. Agree with you though.

Just glad I don,t have to bother with all that anymore,trouble is the likes of the niceic have quite a lot of power,largely due to self promotion and as the old saying goes absolute power corrupts absolutely! I think the NICEIC is no longer about looking after sparks and customers, it,s all about how much cash they can rake in.

Is it any wonder older sparks ie 55 upwards are saying enough with this paper shlt and yes I think we can all agree this trade is dead when muppets like this can walk up and say sorry that course we sold you is no good and you need this cos we need to top up our pensions

Is it any wonder older sparks ie 55 upwards are saying enough with this paper shlt and yes I think we can all agree this trade is dead when muppets like this can walk up and say sorry that course we sold you is no good and you need this cos we need to top up our pensions
Yes agreed,and I,m 47 and been saying for ages that there,s too much emphasis on paper and not enough on wether you can actually do the job.seems to be a case of "ok he isnt very practical but he has the right bits of paper" absolutely crazy!

Are you sure?, its us who allow them to grow by paying their fees and buying their logo'd carp

Very true Jonny you raise a valid point.
I won't fund this nonsense any more though. I have taken a lot of years, and sat through lots of exams and courses to get where I am today. (not sure where that is mine lol)
But enough is enough. If this name change nonsense was a genuine effort to keep sparks up to date, they would be covering half day courses with sparks who meet certain criteria ie already have the 2391. And lets face it half a day would be adequate for changes from the PIR format to the EICR format. along with prices a fraction of what they charge for full blown exams. We are funding this nonsense by buying into it. Time to stop being brainwashed and dictated to. ie tut tut havent you done the 5648879 triple garland rippoffcourse. Not a proper Sparky then !! Are we !!!

The fact that we have "qualified electricians" who pay £8000 or whatever it is joining the forum and asking to work for free to gain experience just about sums it up,you can buy your way through papers but you cant buy experience.

I have a manager just like that!! Passed his 2391 exam but doesn't even know what the 3 step proving dead test is and how to do it in a real installation. Its not always laid out neatly for you and he scares me to death when he gets his tools out.

I have a manager just like that!! Passed his 2391 exam but doesn't even know what the 3 step proving dead test is and how to do it in a real installation. Its not always laid out neatly for you and he scares me to death when he gets his tools out.

:eek:mg_smile: :38:

My last manager his dad got him the job and he was telling me you better pass your 17th yet he only had his 16th plus he was not the sharpest knive in the drawer when he was on the tools and thats what wrong today there is no structure and guys who do work hard to excel get it beaten out of them

My last manager his dad got him the job and he was telling me you better pass your 17th yet he only had his 16th plus he was not the sharpest knive in the drawer when he was on the tools and thats what wrong today there is no structure and guys who do work hard to excel get it beaten out of them

Same applies to politicians. Complete numpties - every last stinking, self-serving fiddling one of them

All theory, all the posh gear and no idea or clue about what to do! What a wonderful world we live in.

Aye ... aahh knaa what ye mean lyke ........... aah've gorra bit o' flex wi' a fowty watt bulb (sorry .. lamp) on th' end o' it for my testin' ............. works champion man !!! :smug:
I usually smile slightly when he swears after each shock he gets!! Stopped counting them and trying to explain safe isolation when he put his cutters through a 16mm T&E sub main protected by a 1361 80amp. The flash worried the property owner! Tried to report it and it got swept away under the table due to friends above my pay grade, took me 6 hours to renew and it was a bit of a long day! He doesn't come near me any more, I wonder why?

Reply to There at it again. Ching Ching. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock