Discuss Thermal insulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

me1

Hi:

I intend to fix some kingspan 25mm (Thermal insulation) to a brick wall.. overall thickness with plaster board will be 37.5 mm.

Then I will be running some cable with in this;with in conduit which will be 25mm diameter (10 meters round about.)
So the Thermal insulation will only be touching two sides of the conduit.

My prob is in table 6b in the OSG gives de-rating factors length of from 55mm = 0.88 to >or equal to 500 mm= 0.50.

I need to work it out for 30 meters of 2.5mm cable and 4mm cable I suspect I will need 4mm or even 6mm.
Where 10 meters of it will be through the king span. Can you help?

Plus what de-rating temperature de- factor would you use this is with in the living room, I have never known it to get above 25 oc.?

Table 6B is the old OSG, called F2 (page 141) now. Anyhow thats besides the point. Why cant you use installation Method A (enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall)? or is your thermal conductance too high.

Table 6B is the old OSG, called F2 (page 141) now. Anyhow thats besides the point. Why cant you use installation Method A (enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall)? or is your thermal conductance too high.

Method A it is. Do I still need to de-rate for the insulated wall, because in table 2.3.1 in the new OSG it says Ref A for 2.5 mm cable needs to be 20A and 4mm 26A

The thickness of the insulation is 25mm

Dont know about your circuit, but you are designing it. Method A only takes into account 'enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall'. ( Read Method A for thermal conductance value) You have to account for all other installation factors.

install the conduit. fit insulation leaving a couple of inches space each side of the conduit.

Reply to Thermal insulation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock