Discuss Thermal store heating system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on rectifying someone’s heating system. The system was working but when it stopped working the sparkie who came to fix it messed about with loads of the wiring now it’s not working great. I’m going to look at it to try & get it going correctly tomorrow so just want to be prepared. From what I gather there’s an outside boiler that is heated when the HW is turned on at the programmer, when the boiler heats the water to temperature this in turn closes a stat which then pumps the HW? Does that sound about correct? There is also another pump & stat which I’m assuming is for the heating? There is also a wood burner which is to be wired so that when switches on will override boiler when boiler is off. I kind of get the general gist of it but not completely sure how to wire it so it works correctly. Any help would be much appreciated. The worst thing is I done one similar as this for the first time a couple of years back but can’t for the life of me remember how
I wired it.

Thermal Store systems are a bit more complex than regular CH, it would be worth getting the MIs of their particular system to see how to connect the pump(s) valves(s) etc. Here's an example of one as a reminder of the main features.

Hi,i would be careful,you are not walking in to someone else's casserole of nonsense...
I have inspected a lot of these systems,where they were plain wrong,right from day one,and desperate owners,always always tell you it was fine,until...

The bit about "wiring up a wood burner" needs investigating,as they should function fine and safely,if all power is missing. Any safety
features,relying on pumping,stats,servo-valves,etc,is not...

Start from the beginning,and find the spec for the biggest lump,which will be the store or buffer,as it may turn out to be.
Work forwards from there,incorporating the other parts of the system,and their MI,to see if they are permissible,and functional.

What can happen,and i am not at all assuming it will with your good self,is that an initial prod,turns in to some work,then some more,as the problems surface,and then you are quick-sanded.

Some of these more elaborate systems,can become legendary in an area,with several unsuccessful engineers,swapping stories at the PlumbCenter counter...:)

Reply to Thermal store heating system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock